How would you improve Konachan? (Site suggestions)
Welcoming suggestions.

For example I was thinking on setting up a resizer & cropper for making it fit your desktop resolution in a better way.
That tagging suggestion I sent you awhile back.
Where you can only edit say 4 images every 10 min.
Shuugo said:
For example I was thinking on setting up a resizer & cropper for making it fit your desktop resolution in a better way.
Hmm... well that would be good, but if you plan on adding that, better include the lanczos option (for good quality).

How can I improve Konachan ... hmm...well first of all .... the logo (Klan Klan) is kind of old ... maybe changing her would do good~ Like I don't know... there are many Vocaloid fans, so replacing it with a Miku version would be good (I'm not implying that I'm a Vocaloid fan).

Cuda I disapprove of that suggestion. I checked my Tag Edits and it included my own uploads with the tags I added from the beggining.
The idea is for mainly Member accounts to cut down on the amount a spam tagging, but like I said back then, it was just a idea.
Automagically show new posts if you just scroll down (Instead of clicking the next page each time).
makaan said:
Automagically show new posts if you just scroll down (Instead of clicking the next page each time).
Like on Sankaku Complex? Well if you're down some "pages" and you refresh the page you'll be back at the top instead of where you were when refreshing. And you have to go baaaaaack down (including the download of the thumbnails ... again) untill you're back from where you refreshed.
Tensa said:
Like on Sankaku Complex? Well if you're down some "pages" and you refresh the page you'll be back at the top instead of where you were when refreshing. And you have to go baaaaaack down (including the download of the thumbnails ... again) untill you're back from where you refreshed.
Not always, Chrome will go back down to where you were most of the time. It does in the mod page for the images, and the forum.

Edit: Also the ability to add links from the More » area to the list under the logo would be nice.
And if possible making all the links there do the Comments thing when something is added would be nice as well.
resizer & cropper
could be implemented on client side via html5 canvas.
i tried, but the only problem is easy to use interface.
screen size and actual workspace size are available for script.

download search results as zip archive, but requires web server assistance for adequate performance

all tag changes for past n hours or since last viewed. for aggressive monitoring (not for me). also may be useful some marker of last viewed comment.

option to hide avatars and all unnecessary images

// none of these suggestions are really needed. better performance is more valuable
naikoto said:
all tag changes for past n hours or since last viewed.
I like that idea. Maybe having a more accurate time stamp on tag changes as well? I'm always looking at the tag changes list, so it would be nice to know how long ago changes were made. Maybe a time stamp similar to the ones used for posts and comments in addition to the date the change was made.
Tensa said:
Hmm... well that would be good, but if you plan on adding that, better include the lanczos option (for good quality).
That wouldn't be much of a problem it's just another feature of IM.

How can I improve Konachan ... hmm...well first of all .... the logo (Klan Klan) is kind of old ... maybe changing her would do good~ Like I don't know... there are many Vocaloid fans, so replacing it with a Miku version would be good (I'm not implying that I'm a Vocaloid fan).
If the logo would be changed, which I highly doubt it any time soon, I wouldn't go for something as general as miku, even if it's popular.

Cuda007 said:
That tagging suggestion I sent you awhile back.
Where you can only edit say 4 images every 10 min.
This requires coding on the backend, maybe this summer.

makaan said:
Not sure if this could be added without destroying the current cache system. I'll look into it anyway.

Cuda007 said:
Also the ability to add links from the More » area to the list under the logo would be nice.
And if possible making all the links there do the Comments thing when something is added would be nice as well.
I don't understand what you meant here.

naikoto said:
could be implemented on client side via html5 canvas.
i tried, but the only problem is easy to use interface.
screen size and actual workspace size are available for script.

download search results as zip archive, but requires web server assistance for adequate performance

all tag changes for past n hours or since last viewed. for aggressive monitoring (not for me). also may be useful some marker of last viewed comment.

option to hide avatars and all unnecessary images

// none of these suggestions are really needed. better performance is more valuable
1st. I'd rather do a AJAX interface then send it to IM to resize it. Not sure of the quality output of a resize done on html5.

2nd. Not viable, would greatly increase bandwidth, not so worried about server specs though.

3rd. Will look into it.

4th. That requires changing the site design to be able to show nicely without avatars which in some areas might look weird right now. Will look into it if there's enough demand.
Tensa said:
If Kona were to get a new logo, it would have to be a original character, not some well know one.
Shuugo said:
I don't understand what you meant here.
V v V v V v V
Cuda007 said:
Edit: Also the ability to add links from the More » area to the list under the logo would be nice.
You know the links in the More » like Records, Recent Deletions, and the other things. Well the idea is that you would be able to add those link to the navigation bar for easy access to those.

Cuda007 said:
To have the link in the navigation "light" up like the comments and forum buttons every time something is added or edited.
Cuda007 said:
If Kona were to get a now logo, it would have to be a original character, not some well know one.
V v V v V v V
You know the links in the More » like Records, Recent Deletions, and the other things. Well the idea is that you would be able to add those link to the navigation bar for easy access to those.

To have the link in the navigation "light" up like the comments and forum buttons every time something is added or edited.
Well that would be more like a MOD feature, "More>>" is not really that used by non-MODs, except on counted exceptions.
What about having a bio on your profile? You know so you don't have to post it no the Friendly Topic...? ^^
What about a forum/comment post history for users? Makes it easier to track comments on posts, instead of having to skim through the comments sections. Not sure about the Forum side, since only a handful of threads are ever active at once (more like 1, really: Friendly Topic Thread ^_~ )

As for logos...Can't you do something like AMV.org and just ask for user submitted ones, keep the ones you like, and just have the logo cycle through on each access? Pretty sure all you'd have to do is lay down some guidelines and users here on the site with do the work. (Graphic size of x by y; filesize max of z; be in file format(s) A, B, or C; etc.)

The Logo would be small-ish, so quality concerns SHOULDN'T be an issue unless the person has no clue/experience in image editing/manipulation.

One thing though: Can we slightly change the rule on minimum image size?

I know the min is 1024x768, but I've seen a couple debates on images slightly smaller. I'm just wondering if a Megapixel count should play into it or not. (1024 * 768 = 786432 pixels). This is mainly for posts that are short on only one dimemsion, like SHD (1280x720) images.

Related: any chance of of implementing an upload script that checks for the minimum posting requirements? And maybe aspect ratio? Might cut down on idiots uploading stuff without checking the upload policy. (Min res and landscape/wallpaper orientation.)

The new Sankaku system is neat, I'll admit. But I sometimes get info overload tehre...And it's a pain having to scroll down a LONG way. (I find it better to just jump around on page lists...But he still has that as an option.) But I personally find it a more sluggish user experience. (Though I noticed the Sankaku Channel is actually faster/more responsive now than it used to be. Must've upgraded something there.)

Umm...Easier ways to Parent/child images, or add images to pools...

Uh...I'll come back after trying to brainstorm other ideas...^_^;
Aside from the previously stated, and almost entirely valid points above, I would advocate for an increase in the number of comments allowed for members, per hour; nothing big, simply one or two more.

Also, GreenHorn's idea is something that I thought should have been there by default. As it stands, the 'profile' page is pretty shallow.
Ceryle said:
I would advocate for an increase in the number of comments allowed for members, per hour; nothing big, simply one or two more.
Thats not going to change. forum #429
I disagree. The three limit per hour cap is simply too few. Yes we could continue upon the forum, but I would hardly call that as relevant a connection with the image.

And in regards to spam posts? I have done a few myself when I was new to the site, it took me about a week to figure out that I was truly doing something stupid; but the recent increase in the alerts about spamming helped to stop such dumb posts; or at least, I began to notice the notices. If it truly becomes such a problem, with someone spamming the crap out of the thread, then how would that not call for banning? They would effectively be trolling at that point.

Incidentally, I was unable to actually reply back to you on image: 72520, due to the limit. As such, I edited a previous post...we can do that infinitely apparently, as a way of responding. Obviously this doesn't really catch attention though.

Last but not least, and as a statement of interest; Do the members with privileges follow that very rule?
Ceryle think of it this way.

That lock is taken off, and some asshole spams "I coming" on 20 images. Guess who gets to clean it all up. While I do agree the limit should be raised a few, but say it still should stay. I know how frustrating it can be, I wasn't a mod when I first joined, so I just worked around it, by waiting or editing a comment.

Like I said in the other thread member accounts only have that lock, so if you do something to get a upgrade in status, then that lock will go away. The fastest way is to donate, or work you ass off like I did. 300 tag changes a day is what got me privileged account.
No, I entirely understand your position, having been a forum moderator in the past myself. As such, I am 'not' advocating for the removal of that lock, simply an increase in its limit.

Another argument upon that thread you linked was that I could return later on and reply, and that this is not a networking site.

Very well, I will agree with that; this site is not for networking.

What is the purpose of this site though? Is it not for the sharing and commenting of images?

Besides which, as much as I do like this site, and the people to be found upon it, I simply may not get the chance to come back in a later hour to respond to a conversation, that may very well be dead by then.
While I never disagreed with you(I kinda thought your talking about taking the lock off, my bad ^_^;;), I'm not the one you need to persuade. Shuugo is the one who has the final say.
I like that resizer/cropper idea a lot.

Also I'd like...
Access to user comments and forum posts from user profile.
More Miku wallpapers.
Oh, and a pony.

Ceryle dijo:
Besides which, as much as I do like this site, and the people to be found upon it, I simply may not get the chance to come back in a later hour to respond to a conversation, that may very well be dead by then.
I invite you all to come and talk in the IRC channel.
korokun said:
Link?
Upload page needs some minor updates. The link for post relationships mentions doujinshi and manga pages which aren't allowed here. Also, no need for the "related circles" link.

As far as the comment limit goes, perhaps a secondary limit per image. 3 comments per image with 3 images an hour.

korokun said:
I remember seeing a link for it on the site but it's been gone for awhile.
I do think that rargy has a good idea with that variation of the limit.
korokun said:
More Miku wallpapers.
Oh, and a pony.
Pfft XD

On the other hand, I'd also vote for what korokun sugested (on the comments and posts, not Miku and ponys XD).
GreenHorn said:
What about having a bio on your profile? You know so you don't have to post it no the Friendly Topic...? ^^
I don't think there would be enough demand to work on this.

StahnAileron said:
What about a forum/comment post history for users? Makes it easier to track comments on posts, instead of having to skim through the comments sections. Not sure about the Forum side, since only a handful of threads are ever active at once (more like 1, really: Friendly Topic Thread ^_~ )
Not sure what you meant with that.

StahnAileron said:
As for logos...Can't you do something like AMV.org and just ask for user submitted ones, keep the ones you like, and just have the logo cycle through on each access? Pretty sure all you'd have to do is lay down some guidelines and users here on the site with do the work. (Graphic size of x by y; filesize max of z; be in file format(s) A, B, or C; etc.)

The Logo would be small-ish, so quality concerns SHOULDN'T be an issue unless the person has no clue/experience in image editing/manipulation.
Sounds good, probably this summer.

StahnAileron said:
One thing though: Can we slightly change the rule on minimum image size?

I know the min is 1024x768, but I've seen a couple debates on images slightly smaller. I'm just wondering if a Megapixel count should play into it or not. (1024 * 768 = 786432 pixels). This is mainly for posts that are short on only one dimemsion, like SHD (1280x720) images.

Related: any chance of of implementing an upload script that checks for the minimum posting requirements? And maybe aspect ratio? Might cut down on idiots uploading stuff without checking the upload policy. (Min res and landscape/wallpaper orientation.)
Problem with 1280x720, is that I can already see it coming, a flood of screenshots of anime, although I would agree it could be added to the allowed lists.

About the script I'll add it to the list to look into it this summer.

StahnAileron said:
The new Sankaku system is neat, I'll admit. But I sometimes get info overload tehre...And it's a pain having to scroll down a LONG way. (I find it better to just jump around on page lists...But he still has that as an option.) But I personally find it a more sluggish user experience. (Though I noticed the Sankaku Channel is actually faster/more responsive now than it used to be. Must've upgraded something there.)

Umm...Easier ways to Parent/child images, or add images to pools...

Uh...I'll come back after trying to brainstorm other ideas...^_^;
Adding an option should be easy enough once the system is done.

Ceryle said:
Aside from the previously stated, and almost entirely valid points above, I would advocate for an increase in the number of comments allowed for members, per hour; nothing big, simply one or two more.

Also, GreenHorn's idea is something that I thought should have been there by default. As it stands, the 'profile' page is pretty shallow.
I guess bumping to 5 wouldn't be much of a drama, will change it on next maintenance, and leave it on a trial period and see how it works out.

rargy said:
Upload page needs some minor updates. The link for post relationships mentions doujinshi and manga pages which aren't allowed here. Also, no need for the "related circles" link.

As far as the comment limit goes, perhaps a secondary limit per image. 3 comments per image with 3 images an hour.

I remember seeing a link for it on the site but it's been gone for awhile.
The link is pretty hidden, will try to make it more obvious on next maintenance irc://irc.rizon.net/konachan

About the upload page will also look into it.

Ceryle said:

What is the purpose of this site though? Is it not for the sharing and commenting of images?
The purpose of this site was to give easy access without hassle and registrations to anime wallpapers unlike animepaper, minitokyo or similar. I think that purpose is respected even with that lock though.

korokun said:
I like that resizer/cropper idea a lot.

Also I'd like...
Access to user comments and forum posts from user profile.
More Miku wallpapers.
Oh, and a pony.

I sent the Pony your way, but it will be deducted of your salary as Mod.

I'll look into the access to user comments and forum posts from the user profile.
Thank you Shuugo for your consideration, if it came across as such then I apologize, but I was not meaning that the site is being run wrong, far from it. And at the very least, it's not my site to begin with.
Shuugo said:
Problem with 1280x720, is that I can already see it coming, a flood of screenshots of anime, although I would agree it could be added to the allowed lists.
Upload Rulez:

• Minimum resolution is 1024x768 with exception of very high quality 1280x720.
?
If you just keep the same rule on netbook images that we use already, I see no problem with it, yes we may have to delete more images, but that really no problem, at least to me.
StahnAileron said:
Hmm...I mean like under a user profile, they have a HISTORY section, and underneath it would be subcategories like Post Comments, Forum Posts, etc. Clicking on the subcats would bring up a list of action for that subcat. And clicking on an item in the subcat would take them to the revelent post or forum thread.

It's just personal statistics really, so a user can track his/her activities across the site in more detail, rather than just the raw aggregate number we have now. (For me, it'd help me keep place with the last place I was at in a discussion on a thread, and easier to get back to ongoing post comments without having to search through/skim the main Comments section.)

But as you mentioned for the Bio on the Profile section, dunno if demand would warrant something like this. (There's only ever really a handful of active commenters and forum posters at once, far as I can tell.)
StahnAileron said:
-snip-
I wouldn't mind having this, it would be a big help when making sure you're banning the right person.
Cuda007 said:
I wouldn't mind having this, it would be a big help when making sure you're banning the right person.
LoL And yes, there is the weighted opinion of the utility of such a feature to the mods ^_^

EDIT: Oh yeah...Would anyone be against a minimum tagging requirement on upload?

I figure at a minimum when uploading something, the Character and Series should be tagged (I'd think those would be the most common search types.)

Unless it's original, which would require an "Original" checkbox or something to bypass the Series and Char requirement. (Since we wouldn't really know.) If people abuse the "Original" tag, we know who to ban immediately. (They probably wouldn't be worth anything to the community anyway.)

Not sure how to implement this, since it could interfere with mass uploading. Would need feedback from the major uploaders here (the mods and a few others from what I can tell, mostly...)

Just thinking this would make a better foundation for tagging if the basic tags people tend to look for are always tagged immediately.

At the very least, it could be a requirement for new accounts. Once you've proven yourself a good citizen, it won't be a requirement (but still encouraged, of course.) Could help in cutting down bad posts, maybe?