opportunity to change avatar and add smile icons
Zolxys said:
If that's a possibility, I guess I'll have to rush to update the Avatar Storage script. If we implement a server side redirect right now, anyone with avatars stored on http would lose them permanently...
Updated userscript: [Konachan / yande.re / LB] Avatar: Storage

Anyone with avatars stored on http will need to load a profile page (or a set avatar page) before an https redirect is set up. Doing so will automatically synchronize avatars between the four http/https/.com/.net combinations. If you have different avatars stored on 2 or more of those, the lists will be merged.
I bet the best suggestion would be to add RSS capability to this site for automatic downloads by set perameters such as tags. For example if I like wiafu tagged images then the RSS would allow me to automatically download the wallpapers tagged with "waifu" so I never miss a masterpiece. Can I get an amen? Not to mention you wouldnt have to worry about a large database of photos if we are already downloading our preffered h
photos.
We do have a feed, but it only lists new posts. So if a post is uploaded and then later tagged with a tag you're looking for, you'll only see it listed when it's uploaded without that tag. And you would have to handle the filtering of posts by tag in your RSS client. And the associated files are just the thumbnails, but they do link to the web page for the post.

I believe there are a few desktop programs specifically designed for this and other boorus that might do what you want.

Jordin said:
Not to mention you wouldnt have to worry about a large database of photos...
You seem to be mistaking this for a regular image board. First of all, I doubt images would be tagged nearly as well if they were just set to expire after a short period of time. Many taggers wouldn't bother tagging on a site like that.

A few major points that define boorus are that the posts never expire and that they are tag based and searchable. If you're only looking for posts that pass our quality check, just check back one in a while and search for your favorite tags. You won't miss anything.
i got an idea, why not make the bar that says "Popular| Popular (by week)| Popular (by month)" appear on the top under the bar that says "Last 24 hours 1w 1m 1y" . it will be easier to see
lalos said:
i got an idea, why not make the bar that says "Popular| Popular (by week)| Popular (by month)" appear on the top under the bar that says "Last 24 hours 1w 1m 1y" . it will be easier to see
If you click the small button next to "posts" all those things appear.
Can I please for the love of all that is holy pay someone so I never have to look at those fucking ads again? I'm all for supporting the site and all, but I can't take it anymore. I know we have a donator rank, so what do I have to do?
I've forwarded the request to alaron. He's looking into it.
Wouldn't ads go away if we just made you a contributor?
otaku_emmy said:
Wouldn't ads go away if we just made you a contributor?
They would, but I'd rather not complain my way to a contributor rank.
Fair point, that.
yaaaas, become a fellow donor!
We should be able to work something out. But alaron seems fairly busy, so give us a little more time.
Advertise this place .
ALSM said:
Advertise this place .
Eh?
I don't think this is the type of place that you can really advertise. It's just an anime wallpaper site. The images come from other places so we're not the source anyways.

People are either interested or they're not. Ads won't change that.
otaku_emmy said:
People are either interested or they're not. Ads won't change that.
Though they won't show any interest in it at all if they don't know about it...

Advertisement = more traffic = more income from the ads we host. However, advertising usually isn't free. It's up to our owner to decide when, where and if it's worth it.

As far as whether it would make the site better:
We would get more uploaders and commenters, both the good and the bad. More work for staff in the short term (banning, deleting, checking, teaching). It's difficult to say whether we'd get all that much more quality content. I like to think that our current uploaders are finding most of it, but I have no way to know. Though there's a good chance we'd get more regulars that would make the extra work worth while.
It's not that hard to find Konachan. The only reason I found this place was because all the Google images of wallpapers I was finding were coming from here.

When I said people would either be interested or not I meant that...well anime wallpapers pretty much only cater to people who are already in to anime or anime styled art. Since we only do landscape oriented wallpapers and have many things banned from the site (explicit loli, furry, bestiality, Western styled art, yaoi, extreme fetishes, etc.) we have even less to offer than some other image hosting sites and boorus. Yes, we have art that isn't strictly styled off of or based around anime, but for someone who doesn't like anime at all I don't see why they'd want to use this site just for the select images they might prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I love Konachan and will "work" for this place until it folds in on itself and explodes, but it's not a place for everyone. I mean, I had to ban someone just last night for spamming very poor quality images and portrait oriented images.

I think ads could also draw negative attention from people outside the..."scene". And, like you said, it could mean a rapid decline in image/comment/forum post quality as well. (I don't want to sound like an elitist cunt but this is a well that could easily be poisoned.)

P.S. But I'm not against it if the higher ups decide to do it.
Where you advertise is always important. We're (hopefully) not talking about advertising on sites without any over overlap in interests with our target member base.

How hard this place is to find will depend on your methods and whether or not you're looking for something. For people that normally just frequent the same few sites (which may be more common than you think) finding this place would require hearing about it on one of their sites.

I was in to anime long before I found this place. Well, to be fair, I was into anime long before this place existed... But anyway, I didn't hear about in on any of the anime related sites I frequented. I had to find it by getting fed up with the **** images I was finding on other wallpaper sites and searching hard for a better option.

Even now, if you Google "anime wallpapers", you have to go to the fourth page of results to find this site.

But yes, bringing in a lot of new members will of course bring in a lot of problems.

Anyway, I assume slayerduck has already considered the idea of advertising his various sites and has possibly even tried it with one or two to test it out. If he's not currently doing it, he probably doesn't think it's worth it..
It is kind of weird that all the wallpapers I was finding 6+ years ago were all from here. I never got results for places like Danbooru or Gelbooru. I didn't join for the longest time after I did find this place. But eventually I wanted to comment and vote and stuff. There's no telling how many lurkers there are and how many unregistered "users" we have.

Consequently, the only reason I joined Pixiv (which I am now an avid user of) was so that I could view the sources of NSFW posts.

I ONLY use Konachan and Pixiv.

Anyway, we understand each other and that's good.
TommyGunn said:
Can I please for the love of all that is holy pay someone so I never have to look at those fucking ads again? I'm all for supporting the site and all, but I can't take it anymore. I know we have a donator rank, so what do I have to do?
Whats wrong with these ads :(
Before jlist dropped us we had penis enlargements and granny ads, would you rather have those? imo the nutaku ads from mindgeek are pretty nice, though they might move a bit to much.

Zolxys said:
If he's not currently doing it, he probably doesn't think it's worth it..
^^^^^^^
Konachan has 30-40 new user accounts created every day, from a quick review of the User listings. Probably a lot more pass through the site without creating a login - if that is a measure of interest.

To get a first page listing on google, you generally need to either be very popular, or you have to pay google for search terms. Google lists the big sites - deviantart, social media sites, sites with anime and/or wallpaper in their URL, along with the online stores such as Amazon that probably bought ad-words. Konachan and our "sister" sites are not on the first 4 pages. I checked out a few of the "popular" sites and none of them are as easy to navigate as Konachan, or has as appealing a layout. Most also carry a much wider range of content.

I don't know if SlayerDuck has looked into services like https://www.patreon.com/, but I think there would be enough regular viewers who would pay a dollar or two a month to not be confronted with "those ads" to bring in meaningful income.
Kiho said:
but I think there would be enough regular viewers who would pay a dollar or two a month to not be confronted with "those ads" to bring in meaningful income.
Totally, can't really go on the site when my children are around.
There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the ads for someone to not want to see them. People will pay for android apps just to get rid of the perfectly normal and safe ads they have. Many people don't like ads.

Just allowing our regulars to pay for "Privileged" or "Donator" rank shouldn't dent our ad revenue (based on what I heard before about how many clicks they were getting) and could make the site more enjoyable for them!
Well that's cool as tits. I didn't even know about a Patreon.
When your husband is going to have a suprise on his bank statement, ahah.
But, I really though there was a "donate" button, like 3/4 years ago.
Shizko said:
When your husband is going to have a suprise on his bank statement, ahah.
But, I really though there was a "donate" button, like 3/4 years ago.
There was when Shuugo ran the place. Honestly I'd much rather pay $20 and be done than pay $2 forever. Any way I can do that?