Site FAQ/Guide (Updated: 29JAN 2020)

Konachan.com FAQ & Guide

Please click on the above link to access the official full FAQ/Guide.

quick reference guide - rules and guidelines

Please click on the above link to access the quick reference guide for the essential rules and guidelines

==============================================

This is also a changelog and discussion thread for the FAQ/Guide. Feel free to post and comments or suggestion regarding the FAQ/Guide here.

Below is the Changelog.

Changelog:

29JAN20
  • Section explaining the cheat sheet.
28JAN20
17MAY16
16FEB16
  • Navigation "Q09: What is D-mail?" has been updated.
27JAN16
  • General FAQ: general is now fully updated.
26JAN16
  • General FAQ updated down to the point of contributors. Further updating to come.
18JAN16
  • Navigation Numeric ordering system was added - will suffice up until point 99 (this system looks as follows: Qxx).
    • Q09: What is D-mail?
    • Q10: How do I change my avatar?
    • Q11: How do I delete my account?
Was added.

23MAY11:
20MAY11:
  • FAQ: Parent/Child entry content added - Covers most of what I tend to go through while sorting Parent/Childs. It's still a little rough/incomplete, I think, so comments and suggestions are welcome.
28APR11:
  • FAQ: Uploads updated - Minimum Aspect Ration section clarified after some talking with Shuugo. It's now in written down in (relatively) detailed form for enforcement. Mods may want to check it out.
11APR11:
07APR11:
  • faq: censoring entry added to address this absurdly common question. Mods, you can now reply with this link to make life easier if you want. Or just mod the offending comment post with: MOD: See faq: censoring - So we don't fill the comments section with worthless posts. (Not on the main FAQ Contents page yet. Will add once I figure out what section I need/want to place it under.)
  • More content/guidelines added to the FAQ: Uploads entry, mostly regarding the Questionable Content section. Some extra info added to the Min Res section as well.
17FEB11:
  • FAQ: Uploads entry created - The guidelines specific to Konachan on the upload page got wiped during the last set of system updates. This will hopefully let us keep a running tab on current upload policy independent of system updates. The biggest points (aspect ratio, min resoultion, and banned content) are currently addressed for now (more stuff will be added later. Banned content had to be pulled from the ToS though). Other mods, lemme know if there should be anything that needs addressing.
  • Other miscellaneous edits/changes done over the past month (mainly in FAQ: General, e.g. Cuda007 >>> BearaCuda).
07OCT10:
  • Moe.Imouto link on the FAQ: Links page disabled following notice in forum #6133
  • Other, miscellaneous changes/updates/edits/corrections made by other users since last major change/notice by me.
12AUG10:
  • More content added to Etiquette entry (avatar use and a note about accidental double posting.)
  • Links to screenshot of Tag Color Coding scheme added to Navigation and Tags/Tagging entries.
  • Tags/Tagging entry re-formatted to match rest of FAQ (I had simply copied and pasted it from this thread to the Wiki initially.)
  • Added another site to the Links entry plus some minor edits/content additions to a couple other sites on the list.
10AUG10:
  • Added link to FAQ/Guide at the top (I finally realized this thread post didn't readily link to the actual FAQ/Guide until MUCH farther down...Further than anyone would care to scroll and search for.)
  • Renamed thread title (Because I'm pretty sure the "Discussion & Changelog" part would dissuade people from bothering to click on it...)
  • Replaced old opening text (obsolete/useless/pointless now) to reflect title change.
  • Minor edits to the Etiquette section.
    • - Section dividers added: it's basically a giant list entry. It was hard to see the section divides without actually READING it...
    • - Added some extra content: just a redirect for more info relevent to the issue in one section.
09AUG10:
  • External Resources entry updated, completed, and linked on Main Page.
    • - Can someone review the listing and suggest more sites? Couple of sections are kinda bare...
  • Moved Tagging section to Wiki (FINALLY!)
    • - Started interfering with me updating this thread post.
    • - Probably have to migrate this changelog to the Wiki at some point...Though would seem kinda pointless considering the way the wiki works ^_^;
  • Removed some (now extraneous) text from this post.
06AUG10:
  • Site Etiquette entry updated:
    • - Added more content
    • - Formatting style changed. (Should be a bit easier to pick out each topic now.)
  • Changed this thread's title to reflect it new purpose.
28JUL10:
  • Site Etiquette entry started; linked on mainpage. Entry is still a work-in-progress.
19JUL10:
  • Added new sections on the FAQ Mainpage for future inclusion/expansion.
17JUL10:
  • Updated and migrated NAVIGATION to the Wiki.
  • Re-formatted the changelog styling: easier reading, editing/updating, and uniformity.
  • NOTE section (above) now used as general notes section.
  • Placeholder links on FAQ Mainpage removed: So as to not confuse users/readers.
  • Mainpage Contents listing re-formatted: more consistent and uniform with rest of FAQ style.
24JUN10:
18JUN10:

*****MORE CONTENT TO BE ADDED*****

Items to include:
  • Text Formatting Guide (for Comments/Forum)
Navigation Guide <<<<< Semi-complete
  • Tagging Guide <<<<< In-Progress
Cuda007 said:
Other things you add are

• Notes
  • Wiki
  • How to use the Pool
  • How to modify tags <<<<< Will be in Tag Section
  • Where to find the ToS <<<< Done
  • What is in the More »
  • How to use the "Apply Tag Script"
  • How to blacklist images.
  • and more that I've thought of, but can't recall at the moment ^_^;
Suggestions and Corrections are welcome.
Very nice, However Oyashiro-sama does have a account now, which weird since the last time I try view the profo I got a 404.

Another thing you can add is how to set a avatar.
Well, even then, posts under Oyashiro-sama don't link to it's user profile. Far as I can tell, you have to search for it under the user listing.

Besides, it's profile is blank and pretty useless to look at. I don't think many people would want to bother trying to address a bot, no? ^_^

In any event, I might change it's description to "No Active Profile" instead, since it has one, but apparently nothing gets saved to it.

Just outta curiosity though, when was the last time the bot was used for posts? I only see it's name on the much older posts. Shuugo, if you have any comments on Oyashiro-sama, please do tell. ^_^
StahnAileron said:
Just outta curiosity though, when was the last time the bot was used for posts? I only see it's name on the much older posts. Shuugo, if you have any comments on Oyashiro-sama, please do tell. ^_^
post #10262

naikoto said:
Oyashiro-sama is "anonymous" account. Long time ago it was allowed. And it was used to import posts from old shimmie konachan.
EDIT:
Other things you add are

• Notes
  • Wiki
  • How to use the Pool
  • How to modify tags
  • Where to find the ToS
  • What is in the More »
  • How to use the "Apply Tag Script"
  • How to blacklist images.
Ah, okay.

Oh, BTW, speaking of the avatar thing, seems the glitch in setting Avatars in IE was fixed...Well, in IE8 on Win7Ult anyway. Dunno if it was on Shuugo's part on the server, or on MS's part with compatibility updates for IE. ^_^;

Shuugo might need to change the warning on the set avatar app to "may not work" instead of "will not work".
Oyashiro-sama is what would you call normally Anonymous.
It was set up as an inside joke of the previous site name higurashi.
Hmm.... I'm wondering from what "Kona" came from (aside from Izumi Konata XD)
Tag Scripts are better found later rather than right away, I've reversed move than one set of 16 dud edits.

When you come to do avatar you should include the visible area has to be safe or sensible questionable (like HawthorneKitty has atm), but the image it's from doesn't.

If Set Avatar works on IE8 win7 then it should work under any IE8 not in compatibility mode.
I was talking to Shuugo about Tag Scripts, making it only be able to be used by Privileged and above. I'm not sure if he changed it or not.
Say, Shuugo, is it all right if at some point I post screenshots on the site to help explain parts of the FAQ better?

I'd rather have the pics posted here than on a third-party site.

I'll be sure to uncheck the "Show in Index" checkbox, and give them a weird tag of some sort so they won't show up in a typical search. (I'll probably have to throw them in a pool though.) Maybe I'll use "konachan.com" as the tag.
LOL I was thinking to same thing, just I would tag it as help or something along those lines.
Great minds think alike!
StahnAileron said:
Say, Shuugo, is it all right if at some point I post screenshots on the site to help explain parts of the FAQ better?

I'd rather have the pics posted here than on a third-party site.

I'll be sure to uncheck the "Show in Index" checkbox, and give them a weird tag of some sort so they won't show up in a typical search. (I'll probably have to throw them in a pool though.) Maybe I'll use "konachan.com" as the tag.
No please. It would be shown on the api and stuff like RSS, and it would be a mess.
Give me the links on a PM and I'll upload them somewhere on static on the server.
StahnAileron said:
Red means the tag represents an artist. This being the artist who made the image, or whose created image is used as a source. It does NOT mean the artist from the original source material...usually.
Wrong, on the Danbooru site the Artist tag is red, but here its yellow, red tags are things about the image ie: zoom_layer, logo, Scifi's favorite jpeg_artifacts.

BTW whats [sic]
Shuugo said:
No please. It would be shown on the api and stuff like RSS, and it would be a mess.
Give me the links on a PM and I'll upload them somewhere on static on the server.
No problem. It's why I asked first. ^_^

Cuda007 said:
Wrong, on the Danbooru site the Artist tag is red, but here its yellow, red tags are things about the image ie: zoom_layer, logo, Scifi's favorite jpeg_artifacts.
Dammit, you're right. Thanks for the check. I knew there were features on this site that are mentioned in the help sections, but aren't the same in practice.

Gonna have to rewrite that whole section... <<<<<<DONE

Cuda007 said:

BTW whats [sic]
Writing term. It basically means, "as how it was written." Since I quoted/copied and pasted the section, I threw that in there, since all I did was edit the formatting. I'm assuming the word meant there was Manga.
Hey guys.

Got around to making a few images for the FAQ. Give me your opinions on them:

Tag Colors

Thanks to Cuda for the inspiration for the images. ^_^

I'll spit out some more images at some point...Though I should be writing a bit more for the FAQ itself too. (Gonna have to figure out where I'll need to insert image links for the pics in the FAQ, once they get finalized and on stable hosting...)
waw the ToS is very short, thank you stahnileron,
i thought it would be longer,
hahaha

cheers
I just found this very useful thanks, I am new to here and this post as helped me understand the functions I did not take in to count when I was working on my desktop project maybe a update in the future lol. thanks for the great post.
I found most of this stuff relative but you also follow the rules that my forums follow so I just had to glance at it :) I get on here everyday now ^_^
...????

Huh? I'm lost...What do you mean...?
In the meta-tags section you could link to the cheatsheet
http://konachan.com/help/cheatsheet
...? Did the Cheatsheet get updated or something? I don;t recall it being that full of info...(Mind you, it's been a while since I had to last look at it. I might also be thinking of the DText help page/cheat sheet.)

I was gonna link the cheat sheet anyway. The meta0tag section I was just gonna reserve for explaining what they are, what they do, limitations, and hightlight the more immediately useful ones. (And mention the "limit" one, since it's looks to be undocumented on the cheat sheet, though I can understand why, I think: doesn't it break cache?)
Looks same as when I last read it.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6779/jpgartifactspanel.png

Someone didn't get what I was deleting for, so I made a demonstration.
SciFi: Thanks for the suggestion and idea.

What do you think of this: Compression Guide

I figure I'd use a much simpler and larger pattern while highlighting the actual differences.

I was considering doing one with a Gradient pattern too...But that got a little complex, so I stuck with solid blocks and straight, clean color transitions.

Speaking of Guide images...I need to ask Shuugo to look at the previous images I posted earlier in this thread...
As good as it is, it only shows what happens at straight lines. The artifacts form into straight lines too.
In reality you more often get the messy artifacts.

It probably wasn't the best image to use to make artifacts in, it was what I had handy.
Good point...Maybe I'll add other shapes, like a circle...Or just grab a PNG image from here.

It's does illustrate the JPEG compression clearly, which was my ultimate goal. Myabe I'll use two examples: an theoretical one (the squares) and a practical one (actual image.)

You think the differencing images I included were useful?
JPG Compression chart, made using Python tried to replicate GD/Image Magic libraries as much as possible.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2028/python7895453546723463.png
Shuugo, Mods: can you take a look at the faq: links page and review the sites I have there so far?

You can add and delete sites as you see fit (especially Shuugo regarding the commercial/retail section, assuming you even want that section to exist. I don't see ads on Konachan due to my account rank, so I've forgotten what ads show up here.) The site there so far are ones I know of and/or use/visit regular.

It's mostly a text list now (I only did links for the Image Boards section.) If you think it should a mentioned site for some notable reason, but not linked (dunno...like maybe 4chan if I had it there), mark it as such with the reason(s) and I'll leave the entry linkless.

The faq: Links entry hasn't been link in the FAQ mainpage yet. Won't do so until I get an approved list of sites.
Mods, I'm gonna be double posting a lot in this thread for the near-future while I work on the Text Formatting FAQ.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE any double posts I'll be making here in this thread.
  • I'll be direct linking to them from the Wiki, now that I know how to direct link to a particular forum post.
This is to show off examples directly to users. I'd show the examples in the Wiki itself, but the Wiki has formatting issues I need to workaround for the time being. If I don't, the Formatting FAQ would look like a mess and probably be unreadable.
If you click on the "Quote" link, you will see this text

but not this text
in your text input box.

Back to Formatting FAQ