Man! It took you a whole day to diss me!

I'm not actually good with parties. But you could still show up to a public establishment that caters in booze and frivolity and have a nice time. I'm guessing they let people show up in costume for Halloween.
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack I hit the limit and it won't let me mail yoooooouuuuuuuuuuuu.
Oh shite. Ah well, thanks for the update :)
I'll never understand those anti-gay religious protesters. All lust is technically sin, and all sin carries the same weight in God's eyes. Whether you're a man having sex with another man, or you're thinking dirty thoughts about the cute girl who works the cash register in your local grocery store.
My parents wanted to get our phone cut off and have the number transferred to my mom's phone so they put in a request, but they didn't think about how that meant I wouldn't be able to call out if I needed help, they wouldn't be able to call here, and anyone trying to reach our home or call in regards to work for my father would be calling my mom's phone. So...whoops.
A land line is normally useless so long as everyone has a cell, but I guess you and your father don't?

There are a number of cheap plans, depending on what you need it for. Try Google Fi or I think I heard there are cheap pre-paid options.
My dad and mom have cell phones. I don't. Our home phone number is on my dad's business cards and on his work van. His cell number and the home number. So if either of my parents wanted to call me, they couldn't. And if, God forbid, something bad happened while I was here alone I'd be up shit creek.
If you need a free option, try Google Voice. You can get your own free telephone number and make and receive calls from your computer so long as you have a microphone and a decent internet connection.

To set it up, you need to connect it to a number that is not associated with any Google Voice or Google Fi account. What number you connect it to is irrelevant so long as you don't use the forwarding feature. Just connect it to one of your parent's cell numbers unless they're both on Google Fi.
Oh, that's really cool. Thanks for the advice. :)
If you have any older cellphones around the house, check and see if they will allow you to make an emergency call. My cellphone will allow you to make an emergency call even without a SIM card installed. In an emergency, such as a fire, you don't want to be sitting in your room booting up your computer to call for help....or if power is out. You can just leave the phone on charge in your room.

You can also make calls out using skype if you buy some minutes (5 dollars to start) If your parents have internet on their phones, they can also use it to call you on skype if their phone supports skype.
They actually didn't even consider the points I brought up.

My mom ended up calling the phone place back and cancelling the transfer.

I guess that's a good example of why you shouldn't rush in to things.
FYI: I think google-Fi only works with Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular. If your parents are on a different network such as Verizon, google-fi may not connect.

Through Skype you can purchase a number of low cost calling plans to make calls within certain geographies or worldwide. For example Skype offers an unlimited monthly calling plan (including a Skype number) to US for just $2.99 per month.

You can call and receive calls any time you are near a wifi hotspot, if you have a cellphone or android tablet that supports skype (no cell number needed), you will have unlimited calling in the US for just $3 per month. That is hard to beat!
No, the service you have for the connected number should be irrelevant. It should connect to any land line or cell number so long as it's not associated with Google Voice or Google Fi. I've connected it to land line and AT&T before.
Zolxys said:
A land line is normally useless so long as everyone has a cell ...
Well, in Germany it's impossible (putting aside internet via CATV) to get linebased internet connection without any phone service. With every provider you'll get internet access and at least one phone number. On the other side, who forces you to connect a phone to your router? Anyway, as long as you have DSL, you always have landline phone service available. I'm using a 50/10 MBits VDSL line and just because it's possible I have 10 phone numbers registered. Though I only use (currently) one of them. But I already planned on giving another number out to my boss and use a third one as FAX number.

Hell, I'm too much involved with such technical stuff . . .
I know several people, including family members in the US that have dropped their POTS landline completely and only use a cellphone. I think it is a bit risky though, because if you need help, 911 service gives an exact location to the operator and you are less likely to be blocked as a prank call. There have been several cases in the US where 911 phone operators have not dispatched service to valid cell phone emergency calls.
Just buy an Iridium phone. Press a button and a heli will be dispatched.
Tensa said:
Just buy an Iridium phone. Press a button and a heli will be dispatched.
Out of curiosity I googled the cost of an Iridium call:
Rates from landlines and mobile phones range from $3 to $14 per minute with Iridium...

*choke*

I still don't understand the business case that supports Iridium.....well I do, it just is not a commercial business case.