This topic is locked.

Anime Discussion Thread >>>WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS<<<

WARNING: MAY CONTAINS MASSIVE SPOILERS - READ AT OWN RISK.

I figure I'd start a real anime discussion thread.

Spoiler Tags are NOT require

• I don't what to work more than I have to to talk about something, so read through this if you don't mind spoilers about other series you may/may not be watching or may have fallen behind on.
  • You may use spoiler tags if you wish, of course, or just don't mention the spoiler to begin with. It's your choice ^_^

Series Airing Info

Countdown Anime
  • Countdowns for the next episode airings. Best place to check what's currently airing (and therefore eligible for discussion here.) Lots of release info, but may be a bit hard/anoying to read. Various links on the page help organize the data a bit for somewhat easier browsing.
Chartfag
  • Simple charts listing new series each season. New ones come out as info trickles out. Good for previewing upcoming seasons and what's new for the current season at a quick glance.
Ji-Hi.net
  • Fansub comparision site. Figure out which group is doing a series and decide who to follow.
If you have/know of other sources for anime schedules, please mention them and I'll add them here.
Panty stockings and garter is made out of win. nuff said.
Artwork said:
Panty stockings and garter is made out of win. nuff said.
Hate that style. THAT kind of style is the reason why I had to pay up 1 TV, 1 fridge and 1 car windshield ... you can guess why...

And as I was saying a while back, I'm looking foward to My little sister can't be this cute, The World God Only Knows and .... if the ending of Yosuga no Sora will be shit ... for me at least ... I mean.... if the protagonist doesn't fall for his sister ... I think I'm leaving my computer to rust somewhere in my basement and start thinking about my life .... because IT WILL FREAKING BE FUCKING FUCKED UP LIKE SHUFFLE IF IT DOESN'T END UP WITH INCEST....
The style itself indeed was horrific.
But the bullshit around it all was fun, and the transformation seen was rather sexy.. So I will not drop it yet.
LoL. I don't think I can follow Panty & Stocking myself. The short sequence with them in actual typcial Anime-style was nice (Panty was pretty hot there, IMHO). Otherwise, it feels like Dirty Pair, Powerpuff Girls, and maybe Dead Leaves mixed...With GAINAX's usual take on things (i.e. they're probably smoking something while making this...)

I've checked SnO:F, MM!, and P&S so far. Forte seems typical of the series so far, so I think I know what to expect there.

MM! is gonna be sorta iffy with just the char set to go off of right now. We'll see if they throw in a decent plot arc or something soon enough to keep me interested (otherwise, this series looks to be VERY heavily dependent on gags and situational comedy rather than char or plot dev.) I do find the Seiyuu cast for MM! to be an odd mix of other chars from series I've seen. The Masochist in MM! has the same seiyuu who did Souta from WORKING!! and Takaaki from TH2. (I actually recognized his voice and nailed him down correctly as Souta before checking online.) Azusa of K-On! is the blonde Tsundere-ish lead. (She sounded familiar but I couldn't place her since she's a relative new seiyuu.) The cross-dresser/trap is Mikoto of Railgun.

Yes, MM! has a very odd mix of char types so far...
I believe MM! will be a total let down, pure crap.
I'm getting that feeling too. It's giving me the same vibes I had when I watched Mayoi Neko Overrun!

But I'll give it a couple eps; at least until all the main chars have ben introduced. Then I'll see how it fairs. I've seen a few series where the beginning is slow as hell but it picks up later on (Orig Nanoha was kinda like that, though it's beginning was fucking quick for a mahou shoujo series: compare CCS or SC! Hell, it's intro speed relative to others in it's genre was what kept me watching initially.)
The only reason I didn't give up on MM! before the end was that I wanted to see how he'd get beat up next.
I only watched it because I'm suffering deprivation prior to the new Index and what not.
StahnAileron said:
Spoiler Tags are NOT require

I don't what to work more than I have to to talk about something, so read through this if you don't mind spoilers about other series you may/may not be watching or may have fallen behind on.
You may use spoiler tags if you wish, of course, or just don't mention the spoiler to begin with. It's your choice ^_^
Well if you don't follow all the series it can be annoying to read spoilers of others if you plan to watch them later But anyway since it's been warned oh well.
I just didn't make it a requirement. Besides, maybe reading the ocassional spoiler will get you to watch a show sooner, if at all. You never know. ^_^

It'd just be a pain in the ass typing and tracking spoiler tags (considering how finicky that tag is) as well as tagging them with proper titles (so you know what series/topic each spoiler tag pertains to).

Most people barely know the spoiler tag exists, much less exploit it fully. You'd get a bunch of "spoiler" paragraphs and probably wind up reading spoilers for series you're not watching anyway just so you could see if that spoiler pertains to your series or not.

But like I said, it's just not required and made sure people are aware of the fact. Everyone is free to use them if they feel it's warranted.
http://countdown.mandragon.info/index1.html Countdown to the anime episode air dates~

I heard a lot of positive feedback about Panty & Stocking, and even though I knew from the very start that it wasn't my type of show, I still gave it a try. Didn't really like it too much and dropped it about 10 minutes in.

StahnAileron said:
MM! is gonna be sorta iffy with just the char set to go off of right now. We'll see if they throw in a decent plot arc or something soon enough to keep me interested (otherwise, this series looks to be VERY heavily dependent on gags and situational comedy rather than char or plot dev.) I do find the Seiyuu cast for MM! to be an odd mix of other chars from series I've seen.
That pretty much describes exactly what I felt while watching MM! I found it pretty funny though (and Mio has delicious zettai ryouiki!), so I think I'll watch the series to the end.
I really enjoyed the opening and ending songs; looking forward to hearing the full versions.

Gonna check out Bakuman now. :3
Thanks for the link Xtea! I added it to the OP post.

I just watch the first ep of the new season of Yume Patissiere: they SO~ updated the feel of the series, especially the OP theme song (straight up Dance J-Pop. ED is the usual J-Pop, with just a hint of anime flair to it.) It's a LOT trendier feeling. They jumped 2 years in the timeline, so we're in HS age scenarios now.

The series definitely matured in almost every conceivable way. (Massive changes to char casting too, so far...)
I hope someone else subs The World God Only Knows instead of having CR rips. Translation is fine but do they really have to fuck up Elsee's full name? Even her nickname is bloody wrong. It's Elsee not Elci. But I guess CR is too goddamn simplistic to just go with how it sounds rather than look shit up to get it right.
Lotta groups are avoiding CR/Funimation licensed series for copyright-related reasons or whatever. It might take some time other groups to pick up on such series, depending on how popular the series is. Yumeiro Patissiere and L'il Pri have that problem for me. (Yume has one actual group doing it, Wasurenai, but they're 1/4-2/5 of a season behind. L'il Pri has Chihiro, but they're about 5 eps behind or so.)
I hope for another sub of it too, or at least a decent RAW, might be some vectors in The World God Only Knows. Had to bypass some of his antics though.
He's the God of Bishoujo games, of course he has a lot of weird antics that might be a little more crazy than even some super otaku's. Btw yesterday they said it was already getting a 2nd season, but theres a lot of the manga already so I was hoping they would do that.

EDIT: Well fuck Chihiro is doing it, but all they did was do some little editing off of CR's script, and guess what? They still didn't make anything better. I thought they would have the common sense to look up information and get things right. Look it's simple. Elsee's name is either Elsea, Elusea if you really want to care about the pronuciation of the way they say it, or Elsee for her nickname. I guess what's pissing me off is the "c" in her name as it doesn't look right at all. Elsee > Elci.
Well, you could always rip the script out, edit it yourself, and then remux it via MKVtoolnix. ^_^ I've been considering that for a couple series I've have...

BTW, TZM is doing it too now. Chihiro's been iffy with me ever since some major internal group drama happened to them. That, and the fact they started using ordered chapters in their MKV releases for OP/ED. Yeah, I understand it saves same space...But seriously? Who gives a shit about an extra 500MB total in a time of $99 2TB HDs? The ONLY reasons I can see is bandwidth issues (in which case that person is probably a BT leech anyway) OR you're using creditless OPs/EDs (the credits themselves are rarely EXACTLY the same per ep. I actually can find use for the credit now and then).

Chihiro's not much better than the various CR ripping groups in term of quality, generally (their encoding kinda sucks too.)
Well, I would try that, but I don't want to screw up anything or like reduce the quality of the video and such.
You won't be re-encoding it. Muxing and encoding via MKV are two completely different processes. Muxing shouldn't affect the encode. (At most for the video, you can screw up the display ratio, but that easy to fix and it actually won't mess up the actual video encode itself; just how it's gets display on playback.)

The most you could TECHNICALLY screw up is the typesetting/timing of the subs (or anything else that directly affects just the subs) if you aren't quite familiar with editing sub files (.ass/.ssa files). And it's not TOO bad if you have any experience editing typical PC .ini/.cfg files. It's plain text. You can edit in Notepad or anything else that can save to plain text.

Now, if the muxing program itself fucks up...That's another problem. ^_^;

I've remuxed a few eps myself to correct display AR: some releases got left at 720x480 (3:2) from the DVD sources when it shoulda been corrected to 16:9 on playback. (Lord, how I love the fact that the HD video standards adopted a 1:1 AR for actual pixels ^_^)

BTW, anyone else watching Yosuga No Sora? I made a post about it, but that got lost during that 24-hour time gap Shuugo "imposed" ^_~
I haven't actually seen any episodes yet, I've just been skimming raws and subs, going to get to it today/tomorrow.

I've been an editor for Sub Group before and tried to app at one recently but they never gave me a reply so I gave up on that, but I know my way around .ass files and have the program to run them to do w/e.

Anyway, TZN actually got it right for my little pet peeve, except I guess there was one mistake which I made a comment for their future releases, and hopefully they'll follow it. Besides that I need to compare theirs with CR rips because I never really followed TZN so I don't know how good they are.

This season my aim has been just picking whoever is "first" while also picking some groups I know since theres a ton of shows CR seems to be doing. It's just a very annoying process of elimination right now to determine all the factors.

Thankfully there is a great site that compares all the subs but he's been kinda slow, but I can't blame him, as theres more shows than last season practically.
The new To Love Ru anime is subbed, but only using the Tokyo MX censored version as far as I can find.
It was aired on ATX though.
SciFi said:
It was aired on ATX though.
Not yet. It airs on AT-X one week after.
http://www.j-toloveru.com/onair.html
It's like how AT-X version of Samurai Girls starts Monday. But with AT-X it's 50/50 if they uncensor the shows or not. I'm hoping they will but my hopes aren't really high up there atm.
The censor in Motto To Love Ru was bloody annoying.
I'll wait for ATX.

O and I watched Pokemon Best Wishes EP1 on a whim..
Nghhh, I forgot how cute Pikachu actually was XD..
I seriously don't know why I watched it though, maybe because of too many bad series the past seasons..
gohanrice said:
Not yet. It airs on AT-X one week after.
http://www.j-toloveru.com/onair.html
I must have read the Chiba TV date instead.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11725

It was insane, they even censored Kotegawa Yui's panties when she was sitting on a chair.
Bardiche752 said:
It's like how AT-X version of Samurai Girls starts Monday. But with AT-X it's 50/50 if they uncensor the shows or not. I'm hoping they will but my hopes aren't really high up there atm.
Honestly, AT-X doesn't give a crap about censoring. Any censoring on AT-X broadcasts are done by the production company and/or sponsors to help drive DVD/BD sales.

Watch the AT-X broadcast of the first ep of Yosuga No Sora. Believe me, I think AT-X itself couldn't care less if it airs uncensored material short of actual hentai if YnS's first ep is anything to go by...

I watched the first MTLR ep. I kinda like the shift to shorter segments for different chapter points. It very much like watching the manga in animated form and adheres to a Slice of Life style series (which is what the original manga turned into eventually anyway.) The annoying censoring was only horrible for the first chapter/segment A involving Lala. Segment B and C (Yami and Yui respectively) weren't as bad.
Well, I know ATX has kept the censoring before, but ya know, not as heavily as the other stations. Besides probably a little mention of ATX censoring minor things in HoTD, they've done that to a couple other shows, can't really remember though right off the bat.

Anyway Stahn, you might need to help me with this MKVtoolnix thing to edit the scripts. Never used it before and the main site can be a little weird on intructions, unless the way to do it is in that "Guide to mkvmerge GUI."
THe main toolkit should also come with a couple files using the filenames MKVextract (one is the main command line program, the other is a GUI for that program.)

Making a back-up of the file you plan on editing might be useful/a good idea ^_~

Run the GUI, set your source file and destination folder, pick the files (tracks) you want to extract, then run the process.

Edit the files you want to change.

Start MKV merge GUI. Select the same source you used during the extract phase as an input file. In the Tracks window, deselect the ones your wish to change.

Now add the edited files as inputs and make sure they're selected (you may have to shift them up/down with the appropriate buttons to the right.)

You shouldn't need to change anything else, so mux the file and test its playback to see if it works correctly.

Anyway, I think AT-X airs stuff in whatever form they receive from the studios/production companies. So any censorship seen in an AT-X broadcast is probably by direction of the studio, license holder, publisher, or sponsor and not AT-X itself. They may even ASK for uncensored stuff for all we know. But you can't argue much with the people paying you to air their material. AT-X has to pay the bills somehow...
TLR usually achieves a sensible level of self censored.
HSotD had several sources of potential censoring so it would be expected that they wouldn't get away with all of it until DVD.
Well Commie actually got it right for TWGOK. They aren't the best but they're getting results at last. I hope they do Inspectors but if they don't then I'll have to test editing the script from a CR rip. Honestly whoever edits for CR should be fired, because in SWR: Inspectors even I know they say "Bullet" for one of the characters. But for CR, they think it's "Brit" because how they say it in Japanese is "Burret" but thats not the correct romanji, they just say the "r" longer like "zz" if you get my meaning, I know it's vague.

Even ANN's list of seiyuu/characters on the Inspectors page they call him "Bullet" and was probably there weeks before this season started. It's just another point that CR pretty much sucks. I think even other speedsubs have the decency to look up a show that they'd be able to get everything right.
CR has problems with general editing, period. All the CR rip groups don't edit the scripts; it fairly apparent there's not much QC going on at CR.

Your general speed-subbers have better editing than CR; they can get something done and out in like 4 hours after airing/RAW availability as well. I don't know what the hell CR does. (You'd figure with broadcast licenses they can convince the publishers/license owners to give them the eps early for translation and editing...)

FUNimation's a little better, maybe, but not by much, if at all.

I checked out CR once. This was back in the day when there was that big uproar and backlash from the subbing community about CR going "legit" and stuff. I HATED their website and the policies they had in place. I'd be willing to subscribe to a station like AT-X if I could...Or even the Anime Network if all they aired was anime in JPN audio with reasonable professional subbing...

I wonder if the industry ever considered just contracting subbing groups for work rather than trying to stamp them out...