Portrait Images Wanting to Become Wallpapers
We all come across some cool or amazing portrait images that if ONLY they were wallpapers. Some portraits are easily enough to background extend to wallpapers, others require a bit more skill. This forum is a place to post such images that Konachan's members can browse....and maybe, some member with the skills will find an image they like enough to take up the challenge.

Here is an example of such a portrait image that could be a cool wallpaper, that while non-trivial, could be background extended into a wallpaper by someone with good photoshop skills but still not an artist.

Some extension ideas:
  • Background extensions do not have to be boring white filler space, post #103106 is a nice example of a simple but aesthetic background extension.
  • Zoom layers such as post #162178 also nicely fill that "boring white space"
  • Bookends if you can find complimentary portrait images, for example post #234910 or post #235313
  • Background extraction and replacement.
  • De-texting: Some portrait images would work well rotated as landscapes but for the text.
Please post links if possible to the original artist's page. And use some judgement, that is don't post images that would require extensive rework and drawing to background extend.
Huh. This is actually a really good idea. Good on ya, Kiho. :)
Nice! I was thinking about creating a thread like this myself, but I wasn't sure how many people would actually use it.
I've actually been wanting to do white BG extensions for things I come across as well. I've just never asked anyone how to do it.
otaku_emmy said:
I've actually been wanting to do white BG extensions for things I come across as well. I've just never asked anyone how to do it.
What image editor do you usually use (if any)?
otaku_emmy said:
Down load GNU's gimp image editor, there are many tutorials on youtube.
I just paste portrait images together. I just don't want boring filler space. White is especially hard on my eyes.
Dummy said:
What image editor do you usually use (if any)?
I don't really have one.

I was wondering if simply extending a white background (or cropping an image for that matter) while maintaining the integrity of an image is possible with Paint. :p

Or if I could use a combo of Paint and waifu.
I suggest not using paint. It's functionality is limited, but the bigger issues are with it's encoding algorithms.

If you save to JPEG, you don't get to choose the compression level and the quality will be low by our standards.

Saving to PNG is always lossless, but paint makes the filesize far larger than it needs to be.

Please use a different program.
I just won't try to do it myself then. ;p
It's definitely doable with paint, but as mentioned above the only filetype it handles well is BMP.

I suggest trying out Paint.NET, it's basically Paint on steroids.

To make a simple white extension (assuming that the image's background is pure white):
1 Open the image in Paint.NET (if it's a JPG, waifu2x it first to remove noise)
2 Check the color picker on the bottom left. The square in the back needs to be white (or whatever color the image's background is). If it's not, click on it, and then click on white in the color list below.
3 Go to Image->Canvas Size
4 Set the Width to something higher, preferably so the result is 16:9
5 Set the Anchor. It specifies where the original image will end up after expanding.
6 Accept, and you should be done. File->Save As, pick PNG.
I usually use Paint.NET in order to modify pictures and make them fit a 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios, I've used the packs (that's how I discovered them) to run through all the images and select the ones that I liked, leave the ones that fitted and crop/edit the ones that didn't in order to use them as backgrounds on a 10 sec rotation (had around 15k images archived for that (a lot edited) and the motherboard of the HDD died...atm trying to recover all my files -.-'')
Septentrion_P said:
I just paste portrait images together. I just don't want boring filler space. White is especially hard on my eyes.
I agree, "white space" is boring and does not lend itself well to a screen background image,but it is not always easy to find images that complement each other like bookends.

Some extension ideas that I think work well:
  • Background extensions do not have to be boring white filler space, post #103106 is a nice example of a simple but aesthetic background extension.
  • Zoom layers such as post #162178 also nicely fill that "boring white space"
  • Bookends if you can find complimentary portrait images, for example post #234910 or post #235313
Here is a request :)
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39420633
I agree with the white space being bad, but it's often hard to do anything else. The time investment goes up exponentially too (eg. post #228984 took forever to extend. Extracting and using solid white bg would be much easier).

Zoom layers - I personally hate them with burning passion. It's like I'm seeing double.

Taking your request as an example, how would you avoid white space when extending it? I'm thinking of adding a few more frames that get bigger, or just extracting and replacing the bg.
Zoom layers don't always work, but when they do, they work nicely.

• Extraction and bg replacement is also an option.
Your effort on extending the bg on post #228984 was well worth the effort, including the de-texting.

• I would add de-texting to the list of options for making wallpapers out of portraits. Many images would work as a rotation if only for the text.
Edit: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61203727
  • I usually don't like zoom layers.
  • I usually don't like two portrait images side by side.
  • I usually don't like images with two or more of the same character.
  • I don't much like white backgrounds but they are alright. Black backgrounds are far better though. And transparent (if done properly) is even better as you can choose what color to use.
Post #112277 will probably always be my favorite background extension. I wish we had artists here willing to do more like that...

Anyway, here are some that might be worth extending:
pixiv #37304375
pixiv #30190567
pixiv #9223546
pixiv #29958842
pixiv #34756270
pixiv #14185995
pixiv #49618294
pixiv #44825313
pixiv #56048849
pixiv #15104475
pixiv #37807582
pixiv #43590201
sometimes i like edit these portrait images to make them into BG

Shana

There are always some good portrait images that really deserve to be a bg. but i am not that very good at editing
but i can replace some other stuff like on this post #236085
My point here is that i cant help out with some works. if someone has a request

Everyone complaining about white filler. But is just good as a vector or black bg because you can always use these images for edition.

Edit:
I always wanted to bring back the uncensored thread. But i just dont have the time again :(
I'll extend pixiv #49618294.

@C4R10Z123GT Good work on your edits!
I'm watching, just got no time atm. I'll do the Kiho's one.
otaku_emmy said:
No idea if anyone's even doing these, but: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61821978
It probably is not good enough but I gave it a try xD

so here
Shaggy410 said:
It probably is not good enough but I gave it a try xD

so here
You only needed to extend the white BG, not make a whole new one. But I'll check it out.
Here it is, simpler this time, thought of doing an orange and black BG to go with the diagonal of the box, but idk =P
Nice, two more photoshoppers :) Thanks @Shaggy410 and @legendofhell. Practice makes perfect.

@legendofhell An easy way to make the background look nicer would be applying your own texture over it, so the repetition is less visible. You can get nice textures from google, eg1, eg2.
Dummy said:
Nice, two more photoshoppers :) Thanks @Shaggy410 and @legendofhell. Practice makes perfect.

@legendofhell An easy way to make the background look nicer would be applying your own texture over it, so the repetition is less visible. You can get nice textures from google, eg1, eg2.
thanks for the advice dude i just increased the width put the photo in the middle exactly then just used ps cc 2017 spot healing brush some liquefying, some blurring, and that's it.

Mod Edit: Photoshopped another one this time its Prinz eugen, i think i did better on this one.
No double posting within 24 hours, pls.