Look what I've found (anime avatar creating online neural net)
http://make.girls.moe/#/

A neural net that generates anime art that is actually pretty good at it. I'm impressed, it's great for generating game portraits and getting some inspiration for characters.

Example
Example 2
Wait, how exactly does this thing work again? Are you saying a computer program designed these characters completely from scratch?
Agos said:
Wait, how exactly does this thing work again? Are you saying a computer program designed these characters completely from scratch?
Basically, yes. It was first fed a lot of example pictures (different sets of pictures for different models), and now it generates something "along these lines" based on constraints and randomness.
Hmmm... I'd STILL rather draw my own but, I guess this is one of those things "we have the ability to create this program so it's almost like we fucking have to" sort of deal
onisonfire said:
Hmmm... I'd STILL rather draw my own but, I guess this is one of those things "we have the ability to create this program so it's almost like we fucking have to" sort of deal
Eh, just think of this whole thing as incentive to work harder so robots don't replace you and many other artists like you.
Agos said:
Eh, just think of this whole thing as incentive to work harder so robots don't replace you and many other artists like you.
honestly. The only thing they would replace is whether people see it or not ;)

there's no replacement for making your own art.
onisonfire said:
honestly. The only thing they would replace is whether people see it or not ;)

there's no replacement for making your own art.
It was a joke dood. The human touch cannot be replicated by machine. And even if they could we'd probably have some weird socio-political debate over whether machines have hearts or something.
Agos said:
It was a joke dood. The human touch cannot be replicated by machine. And even if they could we'd probably have some weird socio-political debate over whether machines have hearts or something.
I mean look at it this way, art is already getting quite digital. As it becomes more digital, the human touch becomes less important.

With a mouse people can make vector art that looks really amazing. This program also shows that algorithms and neural networks or wahtever can create randomized anime girls based on templates. It's not too impossible that a machine can create art.

People even say that now all manga is digital... which isn't true, but in the hentai world it often is.

So I'm just saying there will always be a need for traditional and drawing it yourself, and to make your own art. Like, that's the point I want to make here.
onisonfire said:
That seems rather biased. Not everyone is an artist so it's not just a "we can so we have to" deal. Many people should find it useful (once the quality improves).
Zolxys said:
That seems rather biased. Not everyone is an artist so it's not just a "we can so we have to" deal. Many people should find it useful (once the quality improves).
Well, I find it useful already for quick character ideas since I can reroll it quickly. This thing's purpose is not to replace an artist, but to be a tool for one.
Zolxys said:
I mean, if you find it useful, then that is already evidence that you might be an artist.

In the 1800's did we have such tools? No. If you had an idea, you had to sketch it out.

That's why explorers were also de facto artists.
I just used it a few times and, while it's fun to see what it makes, it doesn't seem to serve a bigger purpose than making profile pictures. Which is cool, but most people would rather use an existing character or something they created on their own.
onisonfire said:
I mean, if you find it useful, then that is already evidence that you might be an artist.
... I don't find it useful yet and I've only spent 5 or so hours of my life drawing, but...

This site and a few other anime boorus are currently the only sites I use that I would use an avatar on. And these sites don't support uploadable avatars (you can't just upload an avatar image to use). However, finding suitable images on these sites for my avatars can be difficult. A program that could randomly generate highly original high quality avatars with the option of specifying very specific constraints would be really nice if I had a place to use such an avatar.

Of course, it would be great if I could just draw an image exactly as I want it myself. I wouldn't mind spending a couple weeks of my time drawing an image I really want. However, I'm not about to spend a few years practicing to gain the skill required to draw images at the level of quality I desire.

It takes time for a human to improve their drawing skills. And not everyone can or will choose that path. But even those of us that don't learn to draw can still appreciate quality art or want an original avatar.
Zolxys said:
It takes time for a human to improve their drawing skills. And not everyone can or will choose that path. But even those of us that don't learn to draw can still appreciate quality art or want an original avatar.
Word, I'm not suggesting that your drawing will instantly look like what you'd want to make an avatar out of, when I encourage people to draw I do mean at any skill level.

I definitely see this program as a wanton display of programming, though. I mean, there's plenty of images to select from already haha, and though naturally this won't replace real artists, it is kind of an answer to man's ability to draw xD

But ultimately I suppose it's quite innocuous :P