This topic is locked.

Jabber?
I was just wondering if you guys have jabber and what you think about it.
I think of Jabber as THE instant messageing protcol. It has just everything that ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, [you name it] has (and im not talking about shit like Xtras in icq...), it is free (open protcol, open source servers and clients) the MUC (Multi User Chat) even offers some advantages over IRC and it is even possible to use VoIP with it (Jingle).

Also, there is no big company logging all your stuff, filter it and then sell it to other companies for advertising purposes.

Even tho there are downsides (like 70% of the inter-server traffic being presence data and 60% of it is redundantly transmitted) the end user doesn't really notice that.

I completely stopped using ICQ and MSN as soon as i found this alternative, for i don't want to support stuff like "you surrender all your copyrights to your messages" (ICQ TOS) MSN and Yahoo have similar paragraphs in their TOS so they are no real alternative.

So, what are you thinking about it? Would you stop using ICQ, ... [you name it] and start using jabber? Why?
Oh and btw: my JID is [email protected]
Well..
- Jabber is better, it's public standart, like email, it's (...) Why are you not using it?
- Erm... because everybody use icq/[you name it].
- But you can use jabber with it. There are agents, multiprotocol clients (...)
- I don't want.
So my problem with jabber is contact list - half of it don't want to use jabber, even as second protocol.
(and don't forget about google-talk)
yeah. those who have a gmail account dont even have to go through the (less than a minute) trouble of creating a jabber account.
makaan said:
yeah. those who have a gmail account dont even have to go through the (less than a minute) trouble of creating a jabber account.
It's already created by default, I didn't change anything on my account to have jabber IM
Wasn't that exactly what i said? :)
makaan said:
Wasn't that exactly what i said? :)
Lol sorry I had my head somewhere else
Shuugo said:
Lol sorry I had my head somewhere else
Don't worry about it. Happens to me often ^^
However, i won't go as far as asking /where/ your head was *chuckles*

by the way: I created an anime MUC as well. Hopefully there will be some users soon :)
[email protected]
makaan said:
Don't worry about it. Happens to me often ^^
However, i won't go as far as asking /where/ your head was *chuckles*

by the way: I created an anime MUC as well. Hopefully there will be some users soon :)
[email protected]
Work + Something in working for konachan right now been already 5 days since I started, hopefully I will be able to make an announcement this weekend