Ryssen said:
Too bad FoliFF. It feels weird saying that username.......
Then you can call me fluffy like some other kona users.
FoliFF said:
Then you can call me fluffy like some other kona users.
..............okay.

Edit* I'm watching The Great Dictator (1940 by Charlie Chaplin) this friday at 8 PM PST so if anyone's interested. Add me on Skype, Ryssenragnar .
So, I watched a movie last night called Equinox.

The special effects were terrible (the film WAS kinda old), the acting was hokey at times, plot was decent (if not strange). The park ranger in particular was a real creep. It could creep you out even more, if you're a girl. All in all, I think I'll give it a 2 out of 5.
http://sadpanda.us/images/1213201-ZPXT0F2.png

My Neighbor Totoro 8.6/10

My plan was to watch the 5 most famous Ghibli movies. And I'm almost done. I have already watched Spirited Away and Grave of The Fireflies. And now My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. Only one left is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. But I'll watch that one later this year. I got too much to do.

Back to the movie. Now I'm not 100% sure but I believe this movie is about a child's imagination. If not then it failed, I didn't understand a thing other than that their mother was in the hospital. But if I'm right then this movie did it very well.

And it's pretty oblivious where Hayao Miyazaki got most of his ideas from (for almost every movie Ghibli have done). The answer is Alice in Wonderland as well as other famous 'good night' tales.

Animation was traditional Ghibli style. In other words awesome. I still think their best movie is Spirited Away and Grave of The Fireflies. But I gotta admit this movie was pretty good.

Princess Mononoke 8.2/10

I liked Totoro more. But this story was more touching. Literally screaming "LOOK WHAT WE HUMANS HAVE DONE TO OUR WORLD - BE ASHAMED!!". It was good, had a unique and interesting story. It used the same Ghilbi style of animation. Not much to say about this was.
Ryssen said:
My Neighbor Totoro 8.6/10

Back to the movie. Now I'm not 100% sure but I believe this movie is about a child's imagination. If not then it failed, I didn't understand a thing other than that their mother was in the hospital. But if I'm right then this movie did it very well.
I thought it was about the sisters meeting Totoro and the other magical creatures which lives next to sisters. Which Totoro later helps the sister to cure their mother(?) Havn't seen the movies in ages so I have poor memory about it.
I've seen quite a few lately. Prometheus, Men in black 3, The Avengers..
But nothing beats Ghibli movie IMO. I just love each and every one of them. I recently watched Up on Poppy Hill, and I loved it. - It's a pain I have to watch these alone though, it's nowhere near as cozy, comfy and fun with somebody else.

Edit
Oh no! 2 of the coolest movies this year are going in premier on the same day!
Which should I go to!
- The Hobit
- Life of Pi
Finally watched Manos: The Hands of Fate after some two years of hesitation. It's supposed to be one of the worst movies of all time, but luckily it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.
Apparently one of the actors was on LSD for most of the filming (which would really explain his behaviour) and commited suicide shortly after the movie was released.
Yo! I watched that movie called "Babies". Guess what it's about. You are correct.

It's a documentary that follows the lives of four babies from birth through major baby milestones. Featuring two boys (one from Namibia and Mongolia) and two girls (San Francisco and Japan), this movie not only showcases adorable wittle babies, but the very different ways in which they are raised in their respective cultures.

If you love chubby-cheeked little rugrats and exploring the ways in which the children of other nations are reared, check this out.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the fact that, though there was little talking (due to the fact that the focus is solely on the babies), what talking there was not subtitled. But, that does not detract from understanding what is going on.

I give this a 8.99 out of 10 (cuz I love cute babies).
Artwork said:
Edit
Oh no! 2 of the coolest movies this year are going in premier on the same day!
Which should I go to!
- The Hobit
- Life of Pi
Watch both. One in the morning and one in the evening or something like that:P
I grew up watching movies because my uncle was a editor for Disney and always had the newest releases. He would come to the house with a huge projector and play them for us; he would also get a lot of cartoons and occasionally come to my school and play them for our 3rd to 5th grade class. I was always into robots and when West World was released, he brought the movie over and a box of promotional paper guns that were released with it. I watched Soylent Green, Earthquake and the Poseidon Adventure in Sensurround and loved it. I grew up watching all the 70's Grind House and Exploitation movies.

I was 13 when Star Wars came out and stood in line all night in a line that wrapped around the theater. I watched it 9 times in a month. When I was 10 years old, you could go to a drive in and actually watch a rated X film on the big screen. All the junk food was better then too, because they didn't care how many calories they had or if lard was used to cook the food. Even the popcorn was covered in real butter.

When I was growing up, Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a test of manhood. If you couldn't quote at least 5 lines from it, you were a loser.

After I retired from the military in 2003, I basically gave up television because it is programed for imbeciles these days, and I never really had a use for people in general, which means I have no social life to speak of, outside of weapons events, like the annual silencer shoot or shot shows. As a result, I have a couple of hobbies, and one of them is collecting movies. I'm up to around 2400 DVD's/Blu-Ray's currently. When a movie is released, I'll usually buy it if Rotten Tomatoes gives it a decent score, but even if it only scores a 20 or so, I'll watch it and then decide for myself. The concept is that I want to fully retire to my cabin that sits on top of a certain mountain after my kids finish college, and that It would be nice just to have a huge library of movies on hand for whenever I get the urge to see some random title. I just picked up the Cabin In The Woods, and highly recommend it. I also just bought a movie called Melancholia that was great also. I'm assuming that most of you guys have seen Battle Royal, but if you haven't you should see it; the Hunger Games was a rip off of this awesome Japanese movie.

As for my top 5:
Citizen Kane
Patton
Voyage in to Space (Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot)
Dr. Strangelove
The Final Countdown

As for the newer movies:
Ronin
Inglorious Bastards
Sunshine
Iron Man

I also love anything scary...
Battle Royal.. Ohh god what are you making me watch.
have you ever read the manga for battle royale?
No. - I never heard of the movie before either. But I felt like watching it after searching it up. I love Japanese movies. Romance, action, horror, ghibli, everything! - But damn this movie was pretty psycho. I didn't expect it to end like 'this' though. Was sure worth the watch. Even got hold of the extended directors cut edition.
deliciously gorey... glad you could stomach such a blood infested movie... or both, depending if you watched them both ;p
It's 1:30 am haha. Wish I had the energy for part 2. I'll download it for tomorrow. Need to do something cool on my birthday I guess. - Is part 2 on the same lvl? And I don't have any problems with blood and gore really. Let the bodies hit the floor! Let the heads roll! All okay with me.
Though I saw this movie, District 9 yesterday.. it had a few of these EWW scenes. Like suddenly removing your nails from your skin, or pulling teeth.. BLEHH. Now time for some sleep.
Don't watch Battle Royal 2. It's just horrible dog shit compare to the first one. You either watch the first movie or read the manga or do both. Ignore the second movie.
Have anyone watched Oldboy? Now that's a fucked up movie.
I have heard that it does have a high levels of fucked-uppedness. I thought Ichi the Killer was pretty messed up too.

I was gonna watch Battle Royale weeks ago, but then it disappeared from the on demand, which saddened me. But maybe it might've been too gory for me...

I did watch a movie this morning called Murder by Death. In a word: hilarious. It's a spoof of popular murder mystery/detective films and books. It is very funny, and the dialogue was great. If you need a pick me up, watch it.
5 Centimeters Per Second

This movie follows 3 episodes, three different storys and situations, but with the same protaganist Tohno Takaki. Through lifes three most important and changing stages. Mainly early teens, late teens and adulthood.
It's about love and relationships.

"Desperatly, reaching recklessly towards the sky. In search of something almost overwhelmingly far off in the distance."
This explains most of the stories - and human nature.

The animation goes from good to amazing at times. Only problem I have is sometimes their face design feels out of place. It stands out a lot. Especially in the first episode.. But once you see the amazing scenery you'll forget all about it.
Actually I think I discovered the potentials of animation while watching this movie.

To be frank I think the special/ending is much better than the movie. But the movie makes it special. Damn that song is good.

In the end I give it a 9/10. It gave me a lot of feels and it made me re-think about wasting my youth for nothing. For some reason I kept thinking about that through the entire movie.
The ending/special get an 10/10. If it was an fan made amv, I would shit my pants. I'm serious, it's that good.

Quotes
"The speed cherry blossom petals fall is five centimeters per second."

"I don't even know what I'll do tomorrow."

"Desperatly, reaching recklessly towards the sky. In search of something almost overwhelmingly far off in the distance."

Screenshots
http://i.minus.com/iwBxZBLLd378T.png
http://i.minus.com/iRSIVcTAGwx7L.png
http://i.minus.com/i2pzAXF6cvoeD.png
http://i.minus.com/i08SFRrFGbxeo.png
http://i.minus.com/iAy03ENLZJpgx.png
http://i.minus.com/iXTpuwREziwUt.png
http://i.minus.com/iwBxZBLLd378T.png
http://i.minus.com/ixteriCNWUnjr.png
http://i.minus.com/ifGsrzViCc6Sv.png
http://i.minus.com/i6t84PeqIj1SA.png
I watched Murder by Death decades ago; It's hilarious. "Two Two Twain"...Classic. I love the talking moose mocking the Asian-speak. It had a great ending too.
Cool, Anime agrees with me. I love movies like that.

Another movie I really liked was "Strangers on a Train", a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

A man plots to kill his father, along with the help of a famous tennis star. The creepy guy says he'll murder the tennis man's bitchy wife in exchange for him murdering his dad. Well, the creep goes through with his side of the deal, but of course the tennis player wants nothing to do with it. One thing leads to the next, the tennis man is suspected in the wife's death, the creep tries to frame him, etc etc. It's an excellent film, and I recommend it to fans of Hitchcock, suspense, and creeps.
otaku_emmy said:
Cool, Anime agrees with me. I love movies like that.

Another movie I really liked was "Strangers on a Train", a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

A man plots to kill his father, along with the help of a famous tennis star. The creepy guy says he'll murder the tennis man's bitchy wife in exchange for him murdering his dad. Well, the creep goes through with his side of the deal, but of course the tennis player wants nothing to do with it. One thing leads to the next, the tennis man is suspected in the wife's death, the creep tries to frame him, etc etc. It's an excellent film, and I recommend it to fans of Hitchcock, suspense, and creeps.
I have heard of it. I'll check it out. I also love Hitchcock, his movies are amazing.

So who's waiting for Monster Madness?

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/09/26/monster-madness-2012-promo/
I finally bought a copy of the Avengers; LOVED it! I'm an old Iron man fan. I still have my issue # 1 of Iron Man in plastic.

Just bought Prometheus today! Woo Hoo! And despite what the critics say, I liked Dark Shadows. That was another series I grew up watching.
Dont wanna bother remember all my good movies I've watched by i recently watched Prometheus ! (yesterday infact) And it was good, at least for a guy like myself sorta Alien classics fan, its a must.....But this movie is surely not going under the radar of most ppl so I perhaps need not say.
I find the movie good as a stand alone. However whenever I start to think and linking it with Alien movies since it suppose to tie in with those movies, some stuff doesn't really match up :/
DreamHoper said:
But this movie is surely not going under the radar of most ppl so I perhaps need not say.
I haven't watched it yet and I don't plan to either. It's kinda meh for me.
Just watched In The Name Of The Father and Lost In Translation.

Both were pretty good. But I think I liked Lost In Translation the most mainly because I can relate to the whole.
> Visiting a new country to have fun.
>There's nothing to do.
>.............
While in the military I spent time in around 25 countries and I learned one important thing about visiting other places; You have to crawl around in the underbelly of some cultures to see and possibly enjoy the real thing. Visit those back streets, old towns, look harder than the average tourist does.

As for movies, I just picked up the Inkeepers and the Woman in Black; both were good; if you like scary movies. My next purchase will be Panty and Stocking, as Otaku USA says the Dub is actually better than the Japanese version and brings new life to it...
http://i.minus.com/ibkUfQ1nfTpNZt.png

Paprika

Truth be told: I think this is my first Satoshi movie. I know he's quite famous. So I've been thinking of starting a "Satoshi theme" meaning I'll be watching all his most famous movies (the other ones later) until Christmas.

And as a first comer to Satoshi, I have to say my anime-penis is pleased. FINALLY THEY USED ALL THE POTENTIALS AN ANIME HAVE. It's obscure, surrealistic, bizarre, exceptional, funny, amazing, breathtaking and beautiful. All of this in one movie.

Visuals
The anime looks good, very good. It may not have the scenery as 5 Centimeters Per Second but it does a good job displaying the odd 'things' happening through out the movie. Sometimes even with comedic effect.

Story
I have heard that this is in many ways similar to Inception. And I was surprised that Paprika was released 2 years before Inception because my original thought was that Paprika got the inspiration for the dream idea from Inception but in fact it's (most likely) that Inception got it from Paprika.
And it's true, there's a lot of similar things happening in Paprika that happens in Inception. Searched the web and found these, no spoilers.

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4886345_700b.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CUyyQoKQ4uc/TITgUQRDMbI/AAAAAAAABww/4K7IxrLaqBo/s1600/paprika-inception.jpg

But don't forget the only thing similar with Inception is a few scenes and the entire "going in other people dreams" thing. The rest is pretty much original as far as I know.

And the theme song is pree coo and experimental like the rest of it.

I give it 10/10 because I love the beautiful surrealistic animation a lot. The story is unique and unpredictable. And I get a Tegumi feeling towards Chiba Atsuko, fuck she's hot.

I'll either edit or do a separate post for my review of Tokyo Godfathers (watched it just now)
Another good series I bought a few years ago is Armitage the Third and Dual Matrix, it's sequel. I've also been looking for the poster I saw in the movie, Splice; it is hanging over the bed of the two main characters. Some sort of Anime, image I think.