If you really think a "FaceTime dinner" is the same as "going to a restaurant" and "huddling with people", you're very weird. Even though I personally don't care for being around people, I still recognize that there's a huge difference.

No one lives forever. If Covid 19 doesn't do you in, something else will eventually. To compromise on the things you want to do and live the rest of your life in seclusion trying not to get sick just seems rather pathetic to me.

And as for your brother, does he really have much to fear from getting it? Centainly, most people wouldn't want to get it (unless you just want to get it over with so you don't have to worry about it any more). But not wanting to get sick isn't a good reason to tell your mother that she shouldn't have a life.
Same with, like, going to the beach or someplace for vacation or recreation.

My mom and I are going to Carolina Beach soon, and I'm not scared of that because I know we'll be protecting ourselves with masks and hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray, and the people working in the hotel are wearing masks, restaurant employees are wearing masks, the pools are limited capacity, and people have even been social distancing on the beach!

So I think all the (young) people shaming others on SMS or being rude and even hostile, wishing sickness on people, just for going out are being more than a little unreasonable.
Oh shit Zolxys has changed their avatar i never thought they would do that.
I did once write a script to save avatars. Although I don't use it often, I do occasionally switch to others depending on the situation.

I have 10 saved:
One I use to replace Explicit avatars.
Two that I used back before I was a mod.
My primary avatar that you're very familiar with.
Three that I've switched to a few times before.
And three I haven't actually used.
That's actually really interesting to hear Zolxys.
spoiler
Zolxys said:
I have 10 saved:
One I use to replace Explicit avatars.
I've never thought of doing that. I've always just removed them and let it go to default. It'd be funny to make it something cute or trolly though.

mattiasc02 said:
And what's SMS?
Social media, basically. I read somewhere that it stood for "social media services/sites", but apparently that's not true. "SMS" actually stands for "short message service". But anyway.

Ok not live my life in seclusion but being safe is important, and as I mentioned my city is nooooot safe.

But I'm not gonna be like "oMg yOu pArAnOiD duMMy, gEt oVeR yOuRsELf"

But telling her to be safe isn't something to be frowned upon either.
"Safety" boils down to perception. If you think something is unsafe then, in your mind, it must be so. It is not inherently unsafe to go out and do things. The illness is not necessarily something to fear itself. It's the idea that if you get it you'll be hooked up to a respirator and never be able to breath properly, or you'll die an torturous, lonely death that's made people afraid. That's called fear mongering. Thinking that you're likely to contract it if you go anywhere is the definition of paranoia. Telling people to behave as if they were sick, and to consider everyone else infected, instills fear and fuels paranoia.

You can actually be in the same room with a person who has Covid-19 and who is actively presenting symptoms for UP TO TEN MINUTES and not be infected yourself. But here we have people thinking that if they even walk past someone who is only a carrier then you'll automatically become sick.
otaku_emmy said:
I've never thought of doing that. I've always just removed them and let it go to default. It'd be funny to make it something cute or trolly though.
This is the one I use for that.

otaku_emmy said:
Social media, basically. I read somewhere that it stood for "social media services/sites", but apparently that's not true. "SMS" actually stands for "short message service". But anyway.
SMS and MMS are the texting protocols that cell phones use. If you heard someone using it for something else, they were mistaken.

*Edit: They probably meant SNS which is often used to mean Social Networking Services.
otaku_emmy said:
"Safety" boils down to perception. If you think something is unsafe then, in your mind, it must be so. It is not inherently unsafe to go out and do things. The illness is not necessarily something to fear itself. It's the idea that if you get it you'll be hooked up to a respirator and never be able to breath properly, or you'll die an torturous, lonely death that's made people afraid.
It's also about the feeling of being able to control it. ~38k Americans die each year to automobile incidents and yet people are more fearful of autonomous vehicles because they lose a perceived control over whether they die. You're always there to say "I'm not dead because I'm a good driver" and never there to say "I'm dead despite being a good driver" so you get to think the dead were obviously less safe drivers than you.

Not going to restaurants doesn't do much when that risk is completely dwarfed by going to the supermarket or working outside your home. But you have control over going to restaurants so it makes you feel safer and you can point to those who do get sick as obviously being less safe than you.

otaku_emmy said:
You can actually be in the same room with a person who has Covid-19 and who is actively presenting symptoms for UP TO TEN MINUTES and not be infected yourself. But here we have people thinking that if they even walk past someone who is only a carrier then you'll automatically become sick.
I mean, you can also raw-dog someone with HIV and not get sick. There's no magic threshold where you're safe vs not.
Zolxys said:
This is the one I use for that.
I'd probably go with a derpy animal. Perhaps one of these or a Pokémon like this. Or any of the various food posts we have featuring an animal and no humans.

Hah, I can turn someone into a Shibe's bum. :p

*Edit: They probably meant SNS which is often used to mean Social Networking Services.
Tch. You know what? That's exactly what it was. My brain just mixed up the letters.

traz64 said:
Not going to restaurants doesn't do much when that risk is completely dwarfed by going to the supermarket or working outside your home.
That reminds me of how they told people, when in stores, to not touch anything they weren't going to buy. But have you heard that tidbit repeated much? Have you seen people being more careful about that?

I mean, you can also raw-dog someone with HIV and not get sick. There's no magic threshold where you're safe vs not.
A colorful comparison indeed.

I was just repeating something I read. It was a study done on the likelihood of contracting Covid-19 when around someone who has it. Because I too was caught up in the whirlwind of corona paranoia at one point. I was afraid. I don't like being scared to go outside. And I don't like people telling me I should be scared.

It's the same reason I constantly check the radar if there's a storm coming. I need to know where it's going and what it's doing.

But I understand that time has nothing to do with it. I was more referring to the fact that some people seem to think you can catch it...instantly like that.
RyuZU said:
Beirut explosion, looks like a mini nuclear explosion, especially at that angle, reminds me the nuclear test at the bikini atoll.
I saw that on the glitching broken tv in my hotel room. It looked pretty bad.

mattiasc02 said:
but It's NOT wise to just hangout with a big group of friends all smushed together, when you can simply have a FaceTime dinner?
I'm going for dinner with the entire family this evening, and then I'm having a sleepover with one of my sisters.
You might think it's reckless, but there's a big difference between seeing someone on a small screen and seeing them standing in front of you. Although I don't have any problems with being alone, other people find it hard. And if you know everyone you're with is safe, I think it should be fine to do stuff like that.

Sorry for the large chunk of text. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mattiasc02 said:
And...imagining my parents dying soon brings me intense suffering
Then don't imagine it. Try to prepare yourself for it though, at least a bit. The parents dying before the children do is the natural order. And you said your mother is pretty old, so even if Covid doesn't do it, it may not be that far off. You won't necessarily get a great deal of warning...
I don't wanna sound dramatic or anything, but I feel like I'd have no other choice but to kill myself if my mom "went home".
Leave that decision for (at least) one month after the event.
You guys are delusional, imo…

All I have to say, is going out in the city ain’t safe when you have a child who has been having breathing problems (my brother), and hell even herself that can be at risk (but I guess she doesn’t careeee…).

I know a crap ton of people who died of this shit, and I ain’t limiting my mom for NOTHING; however, it doesn’t hurt to tell her to do things in a saaaaaaafe wayyyyyyy. Which is something she hasn’t been doing. Like, perhaps PLAN to meet up with her friends in a safe way/place, and making sure the people she is meeting up with are safe themselves like, (making sure they have been well behaved for 2 weeks), rather than spontaneously meet up with people and start kissing and hugging. I’d hope it doesn’t takes that much flexibility for people understand that, but I know that that is not the case, and not with my mama.

And I know my city more than y’all. It’s like the wild Wild West. We some dumb mutherfuckers.

I’m sorry if this is my way of caring for my family. And sorry if our perceptions are different. Sorry if I’m just a stupid fuck.
Don't apologize.
As long as I am the king of this forum, we shall always try to respect and understand.

There might be discussions, but my words are never written with evil intent. (Most of the time witout ANY emotions, but that's just because I don't have a soul capable of expressing emotions.)
mattiasc02 said:
I know a crap ton of people who died of this shit,
I can guarantee you don't.
Mr.peanutbutter said:
Don't apologize.
As long as I am the king of this forum, we shall always try to respect and understand.

There might be discussions, but my words are never written with evil intent. (Most of the time witout ANY emotions, but that's just because I don't have a soul capable of expressing emotions.)
Nuuuu I wansn’t talking about you T.T like honestly have fun with your family (if I’m being really honest… I’m actually extremely jealous of you. You’re gonna have such a good time >.<) yeah I… haven’t been seeing my cousin lately. It lowkey does kinda make me wahhh tho T.T

But honestly I was just pissing my I guess childish pants over what seeeeeemed to be Zolxys saying “omg mattias you’re terrible for telling your mama to be safe let her goooo. You’re so stoopid and unwise mattiaaaas”

Cade said:
I can guarantee you don't.
Um… perhaps? People’s mothers, people’s fathers, my brother’s gf’s relatives, my friend’s aunts and uncles, my uncle’s friend, um… I know a few.
You misread... Read it again.

*Edit:
Since you're apparently too emotional to read properly, hopefully this will clarify things a bit.

mattiasc02 said:
[...] but noooo instead she doesn’t fucking care and actually GOES. Like no offense, but what’s wrong with her?
This is the line that first prompted me to reply. That isn't just about asking her to try to take care of herself. The way you said it sounded like you really can't respect her decision at all.

You didn't even start out by suggesting a party at someone's house. You were talking about Zoom and FaceTime as if that should be an acceptable compromise. I see that as saying you think she should cower away and stop living her life.

Zolxys said:
Then don't imagine it. Try to prepare yourself for it though, at least a bit. The parents dying before the children do is the natural order. And you said your mother is pretty old, so even if Covid doesn't do it, it may not be that far off. You won't necessarily get a great deal of warning...
This is merely a fact of life.

You don't want to think about it so much that it causes you to suffer. Doing so will only make you miserable. But if you don't prepare yourself for it at all, it will hit you that much harder when it happens.

You can't possibly believe it will never happen. But most of the time it happens before you expect it to.
Oh, and it should be noted that some hospital/nursing care facility deaths are being counted as Covid when the patients did not, in fact, die from the coronavirus. I just thought of that too.

So it's entirely possible that you "know of" someone who died in the hospital from "Covid" whose COD was entirely unrelated to the virus.
I pushed a twitch streamer to bug someone else and then I pushed the other one to return the favor.

It felt amazing.
Hey guys, do kids/teens doing "remote learning" still have to wear their school uniform?
If this is not figurative language, it forces me to ask another question. But can you enforce that? You can just choose not to show on camera, or make up millions other excuses of technology not working. But more importantly - why ? If you are trying to teach discipline this way, literally anything "remote" is not a good way.
kyxor said:
literally anything "remote" is not a good way.
Because of Covid a lot of schools in the US, in my state, finished off the 2020 schoolyear with online classes. Many schools are being told to start the fall semester the same way. No in-person stuff.

For some reason the uniform thing suddenly popped in to my head about an hour ago. Most public schools here don't have uniforms, but I know Lexington city schools do. The city schools have, somehow, always kinda operated independent of the Davidson County school district as a whole. Even though Lexington IS in Davidson County.
otaku_emmy said:
Hey guys, do kids/teens doing "remote learning" still have to wear their school uniform?
Even if it was mandatory, there would be no way to enforce said rule on their students.

So no.

kyxor said:
literally anything "remote" is not a good way.
I'm sorry for saying this, but a remotely detonated bomb seems like a good idea if you wanna stay alive.
A bomb doesn't seem like an appropriate way to teach discipline though...
I think it gets the "remotely is better" point across though.
condensed for big bad mod :p
Hand to God, I don't even understand how remote learning works.
Do you mean distance learning? If so, it's simple. You get on zoom or whatever, your teacher lectures you on whatever the lecture of the day is, then you ask questions, and go off and do your own thing/work. If you have additional questions, you schedule a separate private meeting with your teacher.