Esutēto
Would you consider this to be beautiful? I’d wager the majority of people wouldn’t, and neither would I. (Not in the traditional sense, anyway).
I know that poem, actually. College taught it to me. I think it's certainly different from your traditional poem, so the poem aesthetic wise isn't all typical and emo like this (does that make sense)? But I think it had a very great message, the poem. Talking about how apparently there are bright minds that could make wonders but are overlooked in that society. Like didn't that poem have a huge impact on like how obscenity is viewed in society?

traz64 said:
Define soulmate
That there is that one someone out there that would be your perfect match in some point in time. Or at least that's my idea

otaku_emmy said:
Soulmates are real, but sometimes they live out of time with you or you never find them because, let's face it, there are too many people on Earth.
Ohhh interesting! Yeah that they could be just living out of time with you. Like maybe my soulmate was just simply born in the 1800s and is now dead XP... ?

Ok but liiike, now that I think about it, what about the people who find their love and everything is dandy, but then they die but then genuinely find another good love after because life just be like that? Can there be more than one soulmate then?
mattiasc02 said:
Can there be more than one soulmate then?
You can only have one soulmate. Good love is different than a soulmate. Many people mistake good love for a soulmate. Many people use the term "soulmate" while not actually believing in human beings having souls, so there's that too.

P.S. This is very far off topic
mattiasc02 said:
But I think it had a very great message, the poem. Talking about how apparently there are bright minds that could make wonders but are overlooked in that society. Like didn't that poem have a huge impact on like how obscenity is viewed in society?
I agree completely.

When Ginsberg’s “Howl” was published in 1956, it created a massive cultural impact and shocked a conservative society that was still coming to terms with the birth of rock ‘n’ roll. Remember, rock music was frowned upon by the elder generation, who considered it to be an instrument of the Devil. Supposedly it drove teenagers to promiscuity and crime. *facepalm*

So, just imagine yourself living in the mid-1950's and along comes this poem which features the line, “who let themselves be f**ked in the ass by saintly motorcyclists, and screamed with joy.” The conservative establishment would have felt as though their perfect, puritan world was collapsing right before their very eyes, and that Armageddon had arrived. Talk about shattering the social barriers.

But, you’re right. Beyond the references to illicit drugs and sex (heterosexual and homosexual), the poem does contain profound and pertinent messages. Sadly, these messages are still relevant today.

“Howl” is divided into three distinct parts, or acts. The first is about how political and cultural conservatism has destroyed the best minds of the poet’s generation. The second is a rage against Moloch, the symbol of human engineering that creates a society of dehumanized and drone-like conformists. The third is an address to a friend in a mental asylum, who’s been driven insane by mad society.

In 1957, California Judge Clayton W. Horn ruled that Ginsberg’s poem wasn’t obscene. Here is an excerpt from his final argument:

“There are a number of words used in “Howl” that are presently considered coarse and vulgar in some circles of the community; in other circles such words are in everyday use... The author of “Howl” has used those words because he believed that his portrayal required them as being in character... No two persons think alike; we were all made from the same mold but in different patterns. Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemism? An author should be real in treating his subject and be allowed to express his thoughts and ideas in his own words.”

Truer words have never been spoken. If it were not for Horn’s ruling, Henry Miller’s Tropic of Cancer and D.H. Lawrence’s Lady Chatterley’s Lover might not have seen publication in the United States... ever.

EDIT: I apologize for the length of my recent posts... even though I’ve kept on topic. In the future, I’ll endeavor to make sure that they’re not too long.
Are you some sort of writter Esuteto?
PrimalAgony said:
Are you some sort of writter Esuteto?
I would have to say "not exactly."

For me, the definition of a writer is a person who writes books, articles, and stories. Like an author or journalist. That would mean having an occupation or profession as a writer.

I certainly don’t fall into that category.

To someone else, the definition of a writer is a person who can write or is able to write. Or a person who commits his or her thoughts and ideas to writing.

I may fall into this category, but I still don’t regard myself as a true writer. Perhaps you could call me a hobbyist writer (if there is such as a thing). Or an aspiring writer.

I do love writing; you could call it a passion of mine. I love the whole creation process, of crafting something out of nothing, creating characters, environments and scenarios, and piecing all of these disjointed elements together to form a cohesive narrative. In a sense, it’s like creating new life.

And, I derive a lot of personal satisfaction from it. If I ever became a professional writer, I fear that writing would become a job – not a pleasurable pursuit.

Maybe one day, I might take the chance and chase the dream. But for now, I’m happy where I am. :)

Mod Edit:
otaku_emmy said:
This is very far off topic, but can someone explain to me what Michael Myers' (Halloween) deal is? I read that he's supposed to be a supernatural entity, or that he's cursed, and yet other people say "nah he's just a dude".
Well, I would be one of those people who would say, “Nah, he’s just your friendly neighborhood psychopath.”

In concept, Michael Myers was the stereotypical boogeyman. Depending on whom you listen to, his character didn’t even have a name to begin with; he was simply known to as The Shape. IIRC, Nick Castle (who portrayed Myers in the original Halloween) is credited as “The Shape.”

The ghost-white Captain Kirk mask Myers wears is intended to represent faceless evil, a metaphor for the heinous people walking among us. In effect, John Carpenter is stating that human nature by definition is wicked, and that we all wear masks to conceal our true selves.

Essentially, Michael Myers is a mirror into the dark recesses of the human psyche. We have seen the monster, and he is us.

Now, Myers is a parody of himself, and has lost his power to terrify.

With the possible exception of Halloween II, every other film in the franchise is completely disposable and non-canon.
Eyyyyy thank you for giving me such a good answer.

Those types of cinematic killers never really scared me. On the contrary, I have a bit of a thing for chaotic evil characters. Violence excites me. Some could even call it a fetish.

Anyway, I was just wondering. I never understood how he could withstand so much physical damage.

Edit: Oh, P.S., no double posting within 24 hours.
otaku_emmy said:

Anyway, I was just wondering. I never understood how he could withstand so much physical damage.
Oh, that's an easy question. :)

Michael Myers is a metaphor for evil in all its various forms. Evil never truly dies.

EDIT: Reading your comment again, I might need to elaborate on my answer. At first, I believed that you were referring to Myers’ frequent resurrections after being taken down. Now, it has occurred to me that you could be questioning how he can actually receive critical physical damage and remain upright.

The truth is, there is no definitive answer as to why he has superhuman strength. However...

According to John Carpenter, he originally envisioned Michael Myers as a malevolent force of nature, akin to a firestorm or hurricane. The literal embodiment of murderous intent.

In Halloween (the first film, not the franchise), evil is not merely a concept, but a fundamental element – like wind, rain, or thunder. Because Myers himself is a metaphor, this explanation makes the most sense to me.

Another theory concerns Myers’ psychological state.

Due to his complete lack of empathy and hatred for those around him, he can channel his aggression into his murderous acts. Myers might react to receiving a knife in his shoulder, or a gunshot to the chest, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he would feel it. Because he has no emotion. And, hate... well, it can sometimes be a great motivator. This could enhance his strength.

Strictly speaking, Myers is a precursor to the T-800.

And, there is the so-called Curse of the Thorn, a nonsensical conceit introduced in one of the latter Halloween films. (Halloween 5?)

After a ceremony by the Thorn Cult, Michael Myers obtains inhuman strength, stamina, durability, immortality, and the overwhelming pathological desire to wipe out his entire family bloodline. Personally, this is where I dropped out from watching the rest of the franchise...

Whew. So much for a short answer. :)
You could honestly write a whole book at this point.
Man, watching this live election stuff is giving me a taste of what sports people must feel when their favorite teams are doing a big, important game/race/whatever.

...Thrilling.
otaku_emmy said:
Man, watching this live election stuff is giving me a taste of what sports people must feel when their favorite teams are doing a big, important game/race/whatever.

...Thrilling.
Yeah but the swing states won't have results for a few days. The only states being called now are the states you could have called months ago.
traz64 said:
Yeah but the swing states won't have results for a few days. The only states being called now are the states you could have called months ago.
I will say I'm quite proud of the people in my state for making it a close race. A <100,000 vote difference is honestly a huge surprise to me.

And I'm glad people still voted for Cal Cunningham too. I don't give a shit that he cheated on his wife. Like he's the first person who's ever done it before.

Edit: Hell yeah. Looks like 'ol Uncle Roy's won re-election too. Good.
Opened the unisex private bathroom in my university’s lobby to find a completely nude girl (my age) getting undressed… I feel SO bad for her omgggg… but after the fact I had a HYSTERICAL laugh attack. But omgggg… (but the dumb lil beetch DIDNT KNOW HOW TO LOCK IT)
A few day ago I saw Sakura Miko and her videos for the first time (one of my classmates is addicted to her). Oh my god, she is super cute!

It was the first time ever I saw videos of these Virtual Youtuber Thing and can now understand why they are so famous.
BattlequeenYume said:
A few day ago I saw Sakura Miko and her videos for the first time (one of my classmates is addicted to her). Oh my god, she is super cute!

It was the first time ever I saw videos of these Virtual Youtuber Thing and can now understand why they are so famous.
Miko is fucking hilarious. This is one of my favorite videos featuring her.

It's funny when she acts like an old perverted man too. Like when she was hitting on Tifa while playing FFVII Remake.

You should check out Inugami Korone's English only Super Mario streams too. Korone is beyond adorable, especially when she speaks English.

Aaaaaand Gura. I will always recommend Gura to people newly interested in VTubers. Her and Amelia are my standout favorites from HoloEN.
otaku_emmy said:

...Thrilling.
I wish American voters would not treat politics like a sports team loyalty.
kyxor said:
I wish American voters would not treat politics like a sports team loyalty.
We don't.

You take things dreadfully seriously.
Awww don’t hurt kyxor’s feewings >.< pobrecito

Not gonna lie Emmy said a kind of valid point actually lol. Well ok especially in this situation since Trump and all that. Like for example, i was in Times Square today to simply pickup food (but the store was um… closed so it was in vain but DAS another story) and people were chanting and screaming. It was… really loud >.< but hey uh… TRUMP OUTTA THERE hahaha

Ok but my actual story was I went metro there cuz google maps told me Buffalo Wild Wings was open. I arrive there… it’s… CLOSED! So then I kinda panic and stress out, and I start searching Times Square for other options, but they were either closed or McNasty (Ruby Tuesday). Time later I’m like whateverrrrr and just get 20pc nuggets and an M&M McFlurry <3 then i find out that the metro was CLOSED TOO, so then I just Uber home.
mattiasc02 said:
… closed so it was in vain but DAS another story)
"DAS"?

I'm shocked that Trump got so many votes after all that Corona thing. But he thankfully lost and I'm curious what comes next.
BattlequeenYume said:
I'm shocked that Trump got so many votes after all that Corona thing. But he thankfully lost and I'm curious what comes next.
A lot of his supporters don't even believe he lost either. Probably because they're brainwashed and will blindly believe anything Trump says.

On another note, Alex Trebek has passed away. May he rest in peace. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
Call me cynical, but I’m not shocked. Not in the slightest. For whatever reason, Trump has become a messianic figure to the legion of Trumpanzees out there.

These idiots are not just supporters, or followers in the traditional sense. They’re full-blown cult members. Trump is Jim Jones on a larger scale.

He may have lost... for the moment. He may have been defeated, but Trumpism remains a viable ideological alternative for the nutjobs in your society. And, don’t forget, there are approximately 70 million of them.

Currently, the U.S. has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans. I wouldn’t be surprised if there may soon be a third. 2024 could be a pivotal year...
Instead of being worried about the future try living in the now and be happy that Trump didn't get elected again and actually lost thankfully,

Sure some people won't ever seen in a different way like those supporters of his,

But here's the thing you can't change every single goddamn person there is always going to be that one family person or group of people you hate and act in a stupid manner regardless of what we do as that's simply how human society is built and i hate it sure but there's bascially nothing that can be done about it unless we force people to open their mind and learn themselves which is a very low chance of happening seeing how people keep getting stupider and stupider even the adults who are supposed to actually know better than to act in that manner,

Sure people have freedom of speech but they don't have to blindly follow someone like zombies just like that they have their own choice they can choose to improve themselves and learn to think better but instead they choose the easier way out and follow in flocks of sheep in order to camoflage their stupidity and pointless nature in humanity as a whole, Like any way we can't improve humanity if we don't find those who poison humanity with their words like Trump and getting rid of them,

That also includes those damn internet trolls, They just sit there saying all kind of crap thinking they are getting away with it, I just wish it was more harshly punished than ignored like most people do with it and they don't actually understand that such talk can effect your real life and how you feel and actually cause depression and death, It gotta be taken under more control,

Obviously people are going to protest against that cause they enjoy tormenting innocent people online, Ahem i guess that got a bit off topic there but i thought i'd brought it up seeing the conversation,

Regardless if humanity can't get their shit together at all and work together they will just doom themselves further by digging their own grave they can help get rid of the major pests in life such as bullies greedy assholes and the like but instead they rather sit on their ass spitting out bullshit without even understanding how the world actually works

Do keep in note i honestly don't give a fuck about politics i'm mainly concerned about the future of humanity seeing how it's destroying itself from the inside out.
Esutēto said:
...Trumpanzees...
Oof. Best one I've heard so far.

They’re full-blown cult members.
It does bare a striking similarity to a cult of personality, doesn't it? If we're looking at the textbook definition.

What perplexes me is that his supporters are supposed to be free thinking individuals who rally against being controlled and manipulated. That's how they see themselves, anyways. According to them, it's the people on the left who're brainwashed and delusional.

And yet they drink up everything he says like mother's milk.
Emmy, you described it perfectly!!!
mattiasc02 said:
Emmy, you described it perfectly!!!
Pfft that's some Kiss Ass behavior.
PrimalAgony said:
Pfft that's some Kiss Ass behavior.
ORRRAAA! NANDAYO?! MAYBE MY ASS IS WORTH KISSING!

Nah, only jokin'. I just don't like hypocrites. Or plain dummies.

For instance, the "antibody cocktail" that Mr. Trump was given to cure his Covid was made using stem cells from an aborted fetus. But the Right is infamously pro-life (some even if the baby will be born completely fucked up).

...Man, I got a fookin stomach ache. Fookin...tater salad, I reckon. I've gotten good at making it though. It's tha ranch that does the trick.
You lost me at the Hypocrites, Or plain dummies part Emmy, As i can't tell what you mean by that mind explaining in more detail?
PrimalAgony said:
You lost me at the Hypocrites, Or plain dummies part Emmy, As i can't tell what you mean by that mind explaining in more detail?
Just that a lot of Trump's diehard supporters are easily led, and they're ignorant. "Ignorant" is a better way to put it than "dumb". Some dumb people can't help being dumb, but ignorance takes effort. It takes an unwillingness to learn or understand. Ignorance can be more dangerous too.

And I meant that I dislike hypocrites in general. A lot of the Right's views can be interpreted as being somewhat hypocritical.

Ignorance and hypocrisy are two things I don't like regardless of the source.
Thank you for being helpful <3
otaku_emmy said:

And yet they drink up everything he says like mother's milk.
Too bad they don’t drink the Cool-Aid. Yes, that is a Jonestown reference...

otaku_emmy said:

... a lot of Trump's diehard supporters are easily led, and they're ignorant. "Ignorant" is a better way to put it than "dumb".
True, the average Trumpster has an IQ lower than 45. Yet, some of them (i.e. militants, racists, anarchists, etc.) actually seem to have a philosophy, or an agenda.

That makes them particularly dangerous.

PrimalAgony said:

Instead of being worried about the future try living in the now and be happy that Trump didn't get elected again and actually lost thankfully...
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

While it is important to live in the present, in the “here and now,” it is also of fundamental importance that we contemplate what can occur in the future.

To the international community, the U.S. is considered a bedrock, the foundation stone of modern democracy. You didn't anticipate that a maniacal would-be despot like Trump could be manufactured in your country.

A classic case of “it can’t happen here.”

Everything you needed to know about Trump was right there, in his abhorrent behavior and belligerence. Despite what commentators were claiming at the time, he wasn’t being irreverent; he wasn’t being comical or sarcastic. He wasn’t even hiding in plain sight. Agent Orange had revealed himself on the day of his inauguration. No one really wanted to acknowledge the fact that the American people had elected a fascist.

... Until the reality could no longer be ignored.

Events which affect the U.S. affect the world. With Joe Biden’s election win, you dodged a bullet. So did the rest of us.

Next time, we might not be so lucky.

Excellent post, by the way. *thumbs up*
I'm glad I don't consider the political opinion of people who watch chinese cartoons.