otaku_emmy said:
Are you good at making sushi? I hear it's actually harder than it looks.
Actually it is not particularly hard to make, it is hard to make it look as nice as restaurant quality, but the taste is just as good :). What is hard, is finding the various types of seafood. Good, fresh tuna and salmon I can readily get, squid too, but the other types of fish are not readily available to me. There are sources, but they only sell to restaurants or in volumes beyond my needs. Sigh.
I've never had sushi before. I'd be a bit hesitant to try it, since it IS raw fish and I'm not 100% with fish as-is. I'm not sure if I'd like avocado either, and that seems to be in several types of rolls.

But I'm sure I'd like tempura sushi or inarizushi or tamago sushi.
And inarizushi looks great, and the design looks interesting…

And maybe u can start with some of that regular sushi. Just… try it
I'd have to find an inexpensive and authentic restaurant and someone willing to take me first. :p
Tbh i would take you out. But can't be doing that all the time ya feel me :p. There are some youtube vids that have homemade sushi vids. See what u got at home and cook up some sushi. And if ur missing a few ingredients, get creative and add some things u may like.

Speaking of food, i was in a cooking class today and everyone was was tryna follow the chef's method and it was hard for them, but i got creative and decided to do some weird lifting shit and my pizza turned out spectulah while Reyman's turned out… meh. But taste wise Reyman's was actually pretty good. I personally prefer thick crust tho
I imagine buying sushi grade fish would be hard on my budget. XD
otaku_emmy said:
I imagine buying sushi grade fish would be hard on my budget. XD
Then make some canned salmon sushi and see how it works out
Anyone ever cook up some white rice, with butter, and then apply a light to generous amount of hot sauce over it? Shit is fantastic. But I put hot sauce on a lot of things so, maybe it's not common.
The standard for me is butter, salt, and pepper.

However, my FAVORITE is the sticky Chinese white rice you get from takeout places eaten with copious amounts of duck sauce mixed in. No salt, just sauce.

Brown rice is fucking gross.
otaku_emmy said:
Brown rice is fucking gross.
Cook it with enough chicken bouillon and it becomes edible.
Zolxys said:
Cook it with enough chicken bouillon and it becomes edible.
Does it still stay mealy and hard? I don't like that texture.

I imagine you'd have to cook it forever to get a smooth mouth feel.
It sounds like you're not cooking it right. When cooked correctly, the texture should be about the same as long grain white rice. It shouldn't be mealy or hard.

Brown rice takes quite a bit longer to cook than white rice and some rice cookers come with incorrect instructions for brown rice. Try looking up instructions online or just experiment. When I make it, I use a pressure cooker.
Oh cool. I've never heard of using a pressure cooker to make rice.

And we don't really eat it around here. We just had it a few times because my dad thought it'd be good for him (he's diabetic but eats like a pig and eats lots of sugary things all the time anyway).

I'm a noodle girl all the way.
I generally prefer pasta as well. But I have a family member that's allergic to gluten and I haven't found any gluten-free pasta that beats rice.
otaku_emmy said:
However, my FAVORITE is the sticky Chinese white rice you get from takeout places eaten with copious amounts of duck sauce mixed in. No salt, just sauce.
That sticky Chinese white rice is sticky because it is make from high starch short grained rice.....with a little sushi rice vinegar mixed in. You can find the exact recipe along with preparation instructions if you do a search on the internet.

As Zolxys posted, brown rice and wild rice is best cooked in a pressure cooker, and those rice varieties generally take 2-3x longer to cook that plain white rice.

Zolxys said:
I generally prefer pasta as well. But I have a family member that's allergic to gluten and I haven't found any gluten-free pasta that beats rice.
For a nice gluten-free dish, you can make Dango. They are easy and even fun to make.

There are many varieties of rice noodles as well, but unless there is an Asian market near you, you best chance of finding them will be on the internet. We are fortunate enough to have the Indian Spice store just 20 minutes metro ride away and several local internet stores that deliver Asian food products. (I mostly cook what could be called pan-Asian cuisine)

Here are a couple of types Amazon carries:
The thick variety should do well in a spaghetti dish. You may need to lightly oil or fry them to keep them from sticking together.

otaku_emmy said:
I've never had sushi before. I'd be a bit hesitant to try it, since it IS raw fish and I'm not 100% with fish as-is. I'm not sure if I'd like avocado either, and that seems to be in several types of rolls.
Fresh sushi has little to no "fish taste" or smell. It is very different in texture as well from cooked fish, which I am not 100% with (more like 10% with) cooked fish. as-is.

Avocado has a very mild flavor and is a bit oily (think of butter), which complements the mild flavor of sushi very well in rolls. There is no need to fear avocado :)
Shit you guys are legitimate chefs or something. Knowing all these food things, and I'm just over here enjoying cheap and simple food with little to no effort required.Talking cup noodles and chicken breasts marinated in herb and garlic.

Fanciest I've ever eaten was a new dish at Olive Garden titled "Chicken Margharita". Was pretty good honestly, but the avocado slices that came with it were too firm. Besides that it was fantastic, but I'm also pretty easy to please with food, as long as you don't try and offer me any seafood.
Black_Rock_Shooter said:
chicken breasts marinated in herb and garlic.
That's more effort than I make. I've transcended beyond base desires like taste. Don't even salt my chicken.
But what about sweets? Those are still good, right? Like chocolaaaaaaate?
Settle down, fatty.
Oh, weird. I didn't even notice you'd responded. I'd have said something sooner had I known.

Anyway, I know you like sweet things too. So taste matters a little to you at least. :p

Although, with the way you keep yourself, you don't ever eat those things anyway...
Zolxys said:
Barilla's gluten free pasta is pretty good in my opinion. If you get a chance try it.
Kiho said:
There are many varieties of rice noodles as well
TommyGunn said:
Barilla's gluten free pasta is pretty good in my opinion.
I have tried Barilla and many other brands including several made from rice. I generally don't like them or they seem almost flavorless. I've made better gluten free pasta myself, though the dough (even heavily dusted) was too sticky to feed through the pasta cutter I have... I ended up just cutting it into 1.5" squares.
1.5 inch squares, I see the beginning of ravioli.

If you roll the dough out between plastic film to the desired thickness and put it in the fridge for a hour or so, that should make the dough more amenable to your pasta cutter. With the rolled sheet of dough between the plastic film, you can roll it up into a nice compact roll that easily fits in the fridge. (This technique is from my mother-in-law, btw)
Chicken wings. I have to say, they are the single best food/snack ever created.
On the conversation of Noodles- Miracle Noodles are pretty fantastic. Have zero calories, no flavor, and just suck up any flavor you cook with them. Fills you up just fine. Highly recommend.
CaptKing said:
zero calories
What the hell is it made of? Dark matter? o.O)/
maybe cellulose?
Probably the same shenanigans as Splenda's "0 calorie" claim when each package has the same amount as a regular sugar package....which works as that they can pass the product as 0 calorie when it has less than a certain amount per serving
IIRC, splenda uses synthetic sugar which the body cannot digest. Supposedly it is flushed straight through, but idk about how good an idea it is. The "0 calorie" threshold is < 5 calories.
CaptKing said:
I like the chicken wings that Chinese restaurants make. They don't have sauce on them, but they're always really crispy and they have a nice flavor to them (beyond the normal fried chicken taste). I don't really know how they prepare them.

I don't like Buffalo wings because I don't like that sauce.
CaptKing said:
Boneless and we've got a deal. Boneless, hot and spicy? We've got a party.