This topic is locked.

Tags
How should I put this. Only a select few should be able to change the tags on the images, because lately we've had more people spam tagging image and people like Scifi and I clean them up.

So my idea is that people who show they know how to tag/edit images should be let change any image, while new users or one that have abused tagging/editing should be only be able to change their uploads, and not spam the whole board of images.
How often is it? Not that much (I think). I mailed that last user(undead) and got a good response, he/she does know now how this works.

I think your proposition could be done with more user levels than we have right now.
Abusing users should be banned.

And how you'll determine "people who show they know how" without access to tags?

So your idea may be converted to "make Cuda007 moderator to be able to ban abusing users faster", which is easily available with current software.
I'm not asking to be a mod, if thats how your going to put it. Since tags are kinda like my niche, I wondering about what I said above, I was trying to make more of a question/suggestion, but couldn't think of any other way to write it.

People can show they "know" to tag by either......putting right tags in their uploads or by.....I guess commenting the right tags, either way it was just an idea I thought of because of the raise in spam tags these past few days.

I mean 3 or 5 every few hours is fine, but when you get full pages of those spam tags?
"putting right tags in their uploads" - requires uploads;
"commenting the right tags" - flood in comments;

imho, the idea of konachan is that anybody can register and participate (remember old times with anonymous edits allowed). Restricting edits by default will send possible editors away before they actually try. (*fixme*, Shuugo)

Edits are logged and may be reverted, but absence of edits can not be reverted. (It reminds me danbooru a little with limited <anything>, and stressed mods). And somebody may still spam with posts/wiki/forum etc.

And if we have specialized people, why not benefit from it? It's vacation time, so many new visitors have free time to do good/bad on site. It should pass in a week or so.

As compromis, i can suggest limited rate of edits for new users (like 5/day for first N edits/days). Probably requires code hacking in some way.
I see want you mean, like I said it was just an idea.

I just wish something could be done,
Well, if only a selected few can edit and/or add tags to the wallpapers, another issue may arise on konachan.com, and that is we not having enough people editing the tags.
Right now, with this "Open" system, all 24 hours in the day is covered by people around the globe. If it's only a small group of editors, at some point on the day, maybe none of the taggers will be on.
LiLGh0st said:
-snip-
No the idea was that only a few people can change the tags for all images, the uploader can change their tags all they want.
I thought I was at ShuuShuu for a second.

Everyone should know that I use the bare minimum to tag the pics I upload, so it's sometimes nice that others include other tags (Though it's funny when they tag twintails on Miku only a few times).

It works as a double-edged sword so to speak, if such a function were to be removed. Perhaps all the mods would be happier then, tagging my uploads? :D
I think one of the things what makes this site strong against other wallpaper sites is the tag system. I don't think allowing a few users to do the tagging work would be a good idea.

Hell even when there was email confirmation the registered users per week was no more than 10 users. People tend to be very lazy. If they bump into an image they know, they just tag it.

There's this abuse thing, but I think it's pretty much controlled by now. Offending users should just be reported and they will be properly handled by one of the mods.

Also I remember on the first days of this site, when it's name wasn't even konachan.com that the 90% of the posts were untagged. I doubt we would have gotten this far without a restriction free edition style.
I know I've not been around long, but tobe honest, i only just recently realized I -can- change tags on other people's images... and really the issue is that the knowledge came to me organically at the right time after I'd had a chance to look around and get used to the system...

It would probably be good if things such as universal tag editing rights were like a timed release medicine >.< something which is automatically given to users after x amount of activity... that way you don't end up with n00bs in futzing things up...

and I agree that people who are excessively abusive of the system should be denied access to said system, but there is a difference between ignorance and abusiveness