otaku_emmy said:
"Safety" boils down to perception. If you think something is unsafe then, in your mind, it must be so. It is not inherently unsafe to go out and do things. The illness is not necessarily something to fear itself. It's the idea that if you get it you'll be hooked up to a respirator and never be able to breath properly, or you'll die an torturous, lonely death that's made people afraid.
It's also about the feeling of being able to control it. ~38k Americans die each year to automobile incidents and yet people are more fearful of autonomous vehicles because they lose a perceived control over whether they die. You're always there to say "I'm not dead because I'm a good driver" and never there to say "I'm dead despite being a good driver" so you get to think the dead were obviously less safe drivers than you.

Not going to restaurants doesn't do much when that risk is completely dwarfed by going to the supermarket or working outside your home. But you have control over going to restaurants so it makes you feel safer and you can point to those who do get sick as obviously being less safe than you.

otaku_emmy said:
You can actually be in the same room with a person who has Covid-19 and who is actively presenting symptoms for UP TO TEN MINUTES and not be infected yourself. But here we have people thinking that if they even walk past someone who is only a carrier then you'll automatically become sick.
I mean, you can also raw-dog someone with HIV and not get sick. There's no magic threshold where you're safe vs not.