Konachan Client App for resume?
Hello. I'm planning to build an app that consumes external API to be included in my resume. I decided to make one with Konachan's API, since I also want to be able to easily browse Konachan (at least in my opinion).

Making it like saving 2 birds with 1 shelter.

What do you think? Is it really a good idea? Considering in here, there are tons of NSFW things.

Also, how can I get the number of items on a list? For example, total posts with a tag of "arknights"? I can't find it anywhere on the docs.
I'm sorry if I say some fundamentally flawed things, but this is just my understanding of how it might work. I recommend waiting for Zolxys to give you valid explanations if I'm incorrect.

SnekNOTSnake said:
Hello. I'm planning to build an app that consumes external API to be included in my resume. I decided to make one with Konachan's API, since I also want to be able to easily browse Konachan (at least in my opinion).

What do you think? Is it really a good idea? Considering in here, there are tons of NSFW things.
If you grab stuff from konachan.net instead of .com, you'd be able to avoid all NSFW content.
I think.

SnekNOTSnake said:
Also, how can I get the number of items on a list? For example, total posts with a tag of "arknights"?
As for this, I have no clue.
NSFW won't be a problem if you parse only "safe" rated posts. If you want to just get some fancy words on your resume like "I know this framework, yada yada see I've built this" but that will be meaningless to your potential employer. However, what will not be, is if that app actually gets traction and will be used by a lot of people. In which case I doubt, because you are not the first one with such idea. A simple github search will do. Not to discourage you from trying, but I find building such app quite a trivial task. Still better than nothing. Though all depends on how much effort you are willing to put up, meaning this must be top quality product since idea is not new.
Mr.peanutbutter said:
If you grab stuff from konachan.net instead of .com, you'd be able to avoid all NSFW content.
I think.
I found a good way to filter the NSFW works using "rating:safe" tag.
kyxor said:
NSFW won't be a problem if you parse only "safe" rated posts. If you want to just get some fancy words on your resume like "I know this framework, yada yada see I've built this" but that will be meaningless to your potential employer. However, what will not be, is if that app actually gets traction and will be used by a lot of people. In which case I doubt, because you are not the first one with such idea. A simple github search will do. Not to discourage you from trying, but I find building such app quite a trivial task. Still better than nothing. Though all depends on how much effort you are willing to put up, meaning this must be top quality product since idea is not new.
My country is a very religious country, showing a breast is considered rude. That's why I'm re considering building this project.

About the other projects you said, it doesn't need to be top quality if you ask me. It only need to fix problems people have when they're using the official app. Also, the other projects I found is pretty old, only updated once or twice, so it's still a good thing to try.
Oh yeah. Like that tag could be like in grained some how. Something I've noticed between ".com rating:safe" and ".net" is that .net will sometimes have like only a few posts per page but assing the tag "rating:safe makes it so everything is safe AND there is no like, odd number of posts per page.
Another things I noticed, the docs seems pretty incomplete, is it? I really am need to re consider building this.
SnekNOTSnake said:
My country is a very religious country, showing a breast is considered rude. That's why I'm re considering building this project.
rating:safe order:score will show you that you will still have very many sexually suggestive images. you may also want to negate some tags such as rating:safe order:score -cleavage. The cheatsheet will be of use to you.

kyxor said:
If you want to just get some fancy words on your resume like "I know this framework, yada yada see I've built this" but that will be meaningless to your potential employer.
To add to this. The Moebooru API isn't exactly well known and is only on NSFW sites. So your goal of a SFW app may be subverted by a simple google search of the types of sites boorus are.

SnekNOTSnake said:
Another things I noticed, the docs seems pretty incomplete, is it? I really am need to re consider building this.
Try the other Moebooru sites. You may have more luck finding documentation there.
There are also a few flaws and limitations in the API that will not be fixed and will be annoying to try to work around. The project will take a lot more work than it should.

I'm not sure what kind of job you're aiming for. But if you want an API project for your resume, something using the Google API might be ideal.

SnekNOTSnake said:
Also, how can I get the number of items on a list? For example, total posts with a tag of "arknights"? I can't find it anywhere on the docs.
If you use XML instead of JSON, the total post count will be available in the top level item of the results.
traz64 said:
rating:safe order:score will show you that you will still have very many sexually suggestive images. you may also want to negate some tags such as rating:safe order:score -cleavage. The cheatsheet will be of use to you.
Thank you, it's just what I needed.

traz64 said:
Try the other Moebooru sites. You may have more luck finding documentation there.
Actually, I am kinda new to these imageboards things. I tried Danbooru and yande.re but they don't really suit me. All I want is to find good quality wallpapers but they also serve portrait images making me load unnecessary things, so here I am!

Zolxys said:
I'm not sure what kind of job you're aiming for. But if you want an API project for your resume, something using the Google API might be ideal.
There are tons of projects built using Google APIs already! I don't think building a new one would be a great help. You can just google the app you wanted and there would be tons of results.

Zolxys said:
If you use XML instead of JSON, the total post count will be available in the top level item of the results.
Ahh, yes, it works!

Thank you folks. I'll let you know when and if the project is done, I'll even make it open source if possible!